First effects pedal

Tom1951
Tom1951
12/06/2014 8:09 pm
I am thinking about getting my first effects pedal and would like some input on which one to get. I know very little about the subject but would like to be able to add effects (delay, reverb, echo, echo, etc) quickly and easily. I am presently using a Fender Mustang I V2 amp. Would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Tom
# 1
bookas58
bookas58
12/06/2014 9:22 pm
I am not really conversant with the Mustang 1 , but I have a Mustang 2 that I usually pull out about once a year . The reverb is usable , not great , but usable . Without knowing what styles you are into , I would suggest some type of delay or modulation . With a delay pedal you can set the time and number of repeats a whole lot better than you can with built in effects . As for modulation , there is a wide variety of choices and finally it's all up to you . Go to your local store and noodle around , it'll probably give them a pain in the butt , but it's your money and they want it. I'm not into flogging particular brands and I have no idea what your budget is , but the Marshall regenerator is a reasonably priced unit . It has a tremolo , flanger , 2 types of phaser and a chorus all in the same pedal . Again , not great , but usable and probably give you a bit more choice until you find the sound you are looking for without the expense of buying individual pedals . As for delay , I use a TC Electronic Flashback , it's rather pricey and again the choice is finally yours . There is a wide range out there at budget prices , depends on what you want , Hope this helps , May the journey be as enjoyable as the destination.
# 2
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/06/2014 10:37 pm
Honestly, I wouldn't use a pedal until you get a better amp, preferably a tube amp. The mustangs have a lot of effects built in, and a pedal is not going to sound much better through that kind of amp.

If you want a good tube amp to practice with, I'd recommend the Blackstar HT-1R or if you want something a bit louder, get the Blackstar HT-5R.
# 3
Tom1951
Tom1951
12/08/2014 11:54 pm
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Much appreciated.
Tom
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.