Audio Interface Suggestions

guitarwiz1
guitarwiz1
11/03/2014 9:32 pm
For the longest time I've always recorded "old skool" using two tape recorders and a handful of cassette tapes. Since it's not the 1980's anymore I decided to move into the 21st century.

About a year and a half ago I picked up Cakewalks Sonar X2. I plugged in my Rock band microphone (that's all I had) and was able to lay down some multi track recordings. The only problem with that was...not living in a studio environment. I would pick up things like dogs barking and kids yelling at the dog to stop barking. And of course me yelling at everyone to shut up.

Recently I discovered Amplitube 3. I thought it would be cool to preview different amps and effects. The only problem is...How do I get my guitar hooked up into my PC?

I have a couple of mic inputs and a line in input. After several hours of trying to get things to work I managed to get some guitar sound out of my computer. The main problem I've been having is the latency issue...I would play four or five notes before I would even hear the first one.

After countless hours of research I determined that I need some type of audio interface. I started checking out all the stores and quickly became overwhelmed with all the choices.

Ideally I would like to plug into an interface and have the sound come out my computer speakers. By looking at what they have for my budget It might not be feasible ...That's O.K I have a P.A I can plug into.

Anyway I'm looking for the the best bang for my buck...Which unfortunately is about $100. I looked at the Stealth Plug and I think I would like something different with 1/4" ins and outs and XLR inputs. My local music store has a used MBox mini I can pick up for about $40..,but I don't know anything about this stuff.

If anyone can recommend something that is easy to use and cheap I sure would appreciate it. \m/
# 1
maggior
maggior
11/03/2014 10:32 pm
I've been using this for a number of years:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/interfaces/audiogram/audiogram6/

It can be had for $130 from Amazon...perhaps cheaper if you look around.

It will do mic and instrument input. I use an outboard guitar processor (Zoom G5) but if you use something like amplitube, you should be able to plug you guitar strait into it.

I've had no latency problems at all. It's a great device. I like having knobs to twiddle to quickly make level adjustments.

I was at the same point as you...I had decided that the 80'/90's were long over and it was time to upgrade to modern recording methods.

The audiogram6 has a little brother called the audiogram3, but I don't have any experience with it.
# 2
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
11/04/2014 7:06 pm
I use a Lexicon Alpha: ($60)
http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B000HVXMNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415127882&sr=8-1&keywords=lexicon+alpha

I have that into my PC via USB. Then can use amplitube on it. I prefer using amplitube as a plugin to Reaper.

I am able to have my mic and my guitar into the alpha and record both tracks at same time.

If I want to put my Fender fuse modeling in front, i just put my guitar into the amp and output from amp to alpha.
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.