Fret Buzz

Heavy7
Heavy7
06/03/2002 6:49 am
Whats up everybody

I recently bought a new ibanez 7 string guitar with a standard trem, YAY! I played with it for about a week before i noticed that when i didnt play play it through an amp, the strings A, D, G, B, and the high E buzz. At first i thought it was normal fret buzz until i went through two .011 gauge and a 16 gauge high E s. And get this the second .011 snaped and nicked my new guitar. I guess it would be good to point out that the strings buzz at the 8th fret.

Anyway to my question, Is there anything i can do to stop those 5 strings from buzzing? If adjusting the bridge doesnt work is it my truss rod? If you know what i could do i kinda need to know soon cause this guitar is my main guitar and i need for the weekend. Any ideas would be great.
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
06/03/2002 12:10 pm
Fretbuzz can be caused be either a warped neck, too low action, or misaligned frets, or a combination of any of those.
I suggest taking it to a tech to get it fixed. The shop "should" set up a guitar for free when they sell it.
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
06/03/2002 3:14 pm
A buzz at the 7-8th fret is the classic symptom of a neck without enough relief, relief is adjusted with the truss rod, take Trendkillah's advice and take it back to where you bought it and have them adjust the set-up, and insist that they do it for free!
# 3
Heavy7
Heavy7
06/04/2002 5:14 am
i could take it back but would it be smarter to have them send it back to ibanez and get a new one? If so how much would that cost? Anyway thanks, now i can fix the damn thing.
# 4
James8831
James8831
06/04/2002 10:44 am
It should be absolutely no problem for your average/good guitar shop's repair guy to adjust a truss rod - hell it should be no problem for your average guitarist.

Like the guys say make 'em do it for free and make 'em do it, NOW because it should have been set up when you got the guitar, sloppy shop setups make me blood boil..it usually takes 20 mins or less to do a decent to fair setup on a new guitar - that's including a cup of coffee and a cigarette - they're being too darn lazy my friend........
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 5
Heavy7
Heavy7
06/05/2002 3:58 am
well i heard i could adjust it myself, but i didnt want to break it. but i would like to try and fix it my self, mostly cause it would be faster, the shop is on another island so it take like three weeks.

could you give me any tips?
# 6
James8831
James8831
06/05/2002 11:55 am
Ok, my bad ..i didn't mean 20 mins including doing the truss rod - you have to let it settle.

I'd say do not start adjusting the truss rod yourself just yet, not on a brand new guitar .If you have high heat/dryness/humidity then ,yes, it may need adjusting after a short while, which your does- but- I still favour the fact that the shop is in the wrong, it would be worth it to take it back to the shop. i'm sorry i don't know your guitar model it may be an allen key adjust or may need a special wrench/driver ..in which case you may have to travel to get the tools, anyway.

You can snap a rod fairly easilly and ruin your guitar

i only started doing this kind of work on a really cheap old 6 string and very carefully worked my way up, i've only done about 10 or so guitar's rods - and had no problems, except that cheap guitar has a hex nut that was partially rounded in the factory,[still adjusts],but all my guitars had some age on them before i started this, so pracice very gently on a beater before you start playing with 7 string exotica.

The more complex a guitar is the more complex things can go wrong..once you've adjusted the neck,everything else usually needs to be tinkered with as well.

I know it'll be a drag waiting,but, you should save yourself major ...sheeet doing it this way, no offence to your technical skills, but, even if you have all the info on a (model of) guitar it still takes figuring out to get an individual instrument right.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.