Guitarstyle debate

maggior
maggior
10/14/2014 1:34 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777That makes sense Maggior.

I think of it like this: covering someone else's songs note for note can show how far you've come skill-wise, because most guitarists know what it takes to play certain songs (Like Slash, Buckethead, any of the greats). But playing your own stuff shows off your own creativity. Some people are more impressed by technique, some are more impressed by original pieces or licks, especially if it brings out those goose bumps you get when listening to a dramatic part.

I'm impressed by both. I like to see good technique combined with original pieces. But I love covering songs and listening to covers as well.

~Rusty

I'm impressed by both also...probably covers more so. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player and enjoy a lot of guitar based music. With such amazing talent out there, I sit amazed when somebody complements my playing since there are players out there that are so much better than I. Who am I to judge the audience though. If I enjoy playing it and they enjoy listening, mission accomplished!

I agree with you about the value of learning covers note for note. I think the real magic happens when you can learn the techniques of the greats, make them your own, and use them to create your own stuff.

It would still be cool to be able to play like Buckethead, Slash, Satch, etc. :-).
# 1
maggior
maggior
10/14/2014 1:36 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65You may have missed an opportunity to learn other things along the way but still, I've watched what vids you've published and you are pretty darned good so you should be happy.

Here here!!! You definitely have some mad skills on the guitar.
# 2
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/14/2014 3:11 am
Exactly. It's important for me to be able to improvise and create my own songs, but at the same time I wouldn't mind being able to shred like Petrucci or Buckethead!
# 3
caponi14
caponi14
10/14/2014 7:00 am
Thanks alot for all the kind words people.

I will continue my journey. But iv learned a lesson. I learned that the journey is actually more about finding yourself, rather than becoming the best of the best.

So thanks for that.
# 4
maggior
maggior
10/14/2014 1:19 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Thanks alot for all the kind words people.

I will continue my journey. But iv learned a lesson. I learned that the journey is actually more about finding yourself, rather than becoming the best of the best.

So thanks for that.

You're very welcome!!!

Definitely continue your journey. I learned the same as you last January...better late than never since I had been playing for around 30 years at that point. It was a very liberating lesson for me....I'm sure it will be the same for you.
# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/14/2014 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by caponi14

Thanks alot for all the kind words people.

Originally Posted by: maggiorYou're very welcome!!!

Definitely continue your journey. I learned the same as you last January...better late than never since I had been playing for around 30 years at that point. It was a very liberating lesson for me....I'm sure it will be the same for you.

Time for my bi-annual promo :D of [U]Zen Guitar[/U] by Philip Toshio Sudo. Find it new, find it used. Find it as a paperback or as an ebook. But find it. It doesn't teach how to play guitar; it's more an approach to playing music...an attitude check of the best kind. It's a lot like Guitar Tricks...a huge value for a low price.

"The music is waiting there to be unlocked."
maggior
maggior
10/14/2014 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTTime for my bi-annual promo :D of [U]Zen Guitar[/U] by Philip Toshio Sudo. Find it new, find it used. Find it as a paperback or as an ebook. But find it. It doesn't teach how to play guitar; it's more an approach to playing music...an attitude check of the best kind. It's a lot like Guitar Tricks...a huge value for a low price.

"The music is waiting there to be unlocked."

LOL!!

I find myself recommending this book myself now. In another forum, somebody referenced an article that talked about why you need to sometimes be the worst musician in the room. My initial though was "oh, he's talking about wearing the white belt!".

With this reminder, I think I'll reread since many things have changed for me since my last reading.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.