View post (Guitarstyle debate)

View thread

maggior
maggior
10/14/2014 1:34 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777That makes sense Maggior.

I think of it like this: covering someone else's songs note for note can show how far you've come skill-wise, because most guitarists know what it takes to play certain songs (Like Slash, Buckethead, any of the greats). But playing your own stuff shows off your own creativity. Some people are more impressed by technique, some are more impressed by original pieces or licks, especially if it brings out those goose bumps you get when listening to a dramatic part.

I'm impressed by both. I like to see good technique combined with original pieces. But I love covering songs and listening to covers as well.

~Rusty

I'm impressed by both also...probably covers more so. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player and enjoy a lot of guitar based music. With such amazing talent out there, I sit amazed when somebody complements my playing since there are players out there that are so much better than I. Who am I to judge the audience though. If I enjoy playing it and they enjoy listening, mission accomplished!

I agree with you about the value of learning covers note for note. I think the real magic happens when you can learn the techniques of the greats, make them your own, and use them to create your own stuff.

It would still be cool to be able to play like Buckethead, Slash, Satch, etc. :-).