View post (Guitarstyle debate)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/14/2014 1:13 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14Now that i have gotten older and hopefully wiser, i just feel sad looking back that i have spend and still spends so much time trying to sound like someone else... Thats one of the reasons i get a bit disturbed everytime a new album with Slash comes out. I want to learn all the new licks and tricks he does... But I know the chances of me being in his position one day are very slim and properly will never happen...

Hey Caponi, we've had a few threads where what you are aging now, I may have mentioned in the past: Learn everything even those that influenced those whom you have idolized.

Your Slash-time was not stupid. It was more of an artist study and you've come to understand one of the most respected guitar players in rock. That's not a bad thing.

You may have missed an opportunity to learn other things along the way but still, I've watched what vids you've published and you are pretty darned good so you should be happy.

Now open up to the world of guitar playing. I no longer limit myself to a genre but listen just for awesome playing and try to lean a bit about that style. I mean, look at Guitar Tricks song lessons. It is a treasure trove of stuff to learn.

Still, don't be hard on yourself about the Slash deal, it got you to be pretty skilled. So no worries in the end.