View post (Guitarstyle debate)

View thread

bobsessed
bobsessed
08/28/2014 11:49 am
When I started playing in 1964, of course I really just wanted to be able to play songs convincingly. There were no wonderful websites devoted to the aspiring guitarist, and I just taught myself, with help from anyone who would give me pointers here and there. As time went on I did get faster, but only at the patterns I'd taught myself. Around 1980, I told myself that I would get to be a "shredder" if it's the last thing I try to do. A short time later, I realized that I'll probably never be able to play as fast as I really want to, but that's OK. People like to hear me play, and I enjoy making music immensely. I believe that I certainly was destined to be a slower, more "soulful" player. (Soulful is the term we use when we can't shred, right?).....Anyway, Yes, I believe we are some what predetermined to be certain kinds of players, but with practice, you will probably surprise yourself. When things fall from your fingers that you didn't know were there, it's a beautiful feeling. Just don't waste time trying to be something you're not. If you play from your heart, good things happen.