Pickups...?

Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/31/2002 6:54 pm

This is a question that has plagued mankind for untold centuries. (or...something like that...) Anyway, what sort of pickups would you guys recommend as replacements for Ibanez stock pickups? As we all know, or at least have heard, Ibanez guitars don't exactly come with the greatest pickups. I'd be looking for something that works well with clean/chorus as well as overdriven sounds.

And btw, they'd be for an S series guitar.

# 1
James8831
James8831
05/31/2002 9:45 pm
I have "Powersounds" from an Ibanez Roadstar ..Hmmm,very ..lukewarm.

Suggestions:

Kent Armstrong have a fantastic rep for low cost high quality pickups

http://www.wdmusicproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WMPI&Category_Code=PUHMBCKR

..although their "SKY" series is ..variable in quality.

Seymour Duncan combination (i think) JB Neck and 59 PAF Bridge - almost everyone i hear from who does up cheap LP copies seems to use those.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/cgi-bin/tonewizard.pl?Instrument=Guitar&Type=Les+Paul+or+similar&Music=Rock+Classic&BodyWood=Mahogany&Fretboard=Rosewood&BridgeType=Locking+Trem

These should work well for clean and high gain applications..as the S series has mahogany bodies
you should get a "Les Paulish" sound, hopefully.

Good Luck.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
06/01/2002 5:27 am
Why is this post like 2 1/2 screens wide? Christoph, keep the pickups and throw the guitar away, it's your only hope, sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.....
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/01/2002 5:42 am
Thanks for the help, Pstring. :rolleyes:
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
06/01/2002 5:54 am
hey tell that little head to quit staring at me, it's giving me the willy's.........
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/01/2002 5:58 am

Sorry man . . . no can do. He's got a mind of his own.

# 6
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
06/03/2002 4:24 am
Christoph, if you are looking for a modern sounding pickup, you might want to look here
http://www.dimarzio.com

check out the Evolution series........
# 7
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/03/2002 7:14 pm
I was once in your shoes. I had a nice a/e ovation to be exact but just a crappy Ibanex RG electric. I thought by getting new pickups I would be able to revitalize the pathetic tone. Well to a degree you can but the problem is the wood the guitar is made out of generates or at least contributes a significant amount to your tone as well.

I went with a EMG set two SA single coils and one 81 humbucker, it set me back around $220 but came with two tone controls a volume and 5 way toggle switch. The tone was drastically better than the stock, like light years better. The only problem was the guitar itself sucked.

Finally I realized it wasnt just the pickups but the whole guitar that sucked. So I bought what I am playing currently a Fender 69' thinline reissue telecaster. You could probally find one for around $450 on ebay maybe $550 but it sounds alot better and is a beautiful looker I highly recommend it.

I ended up selling the Ibanez with the awesome pickups for $275 which was a good deal to the fellow that bought it. So if your set on getting new pickups definitely buy EMG's they are the best no quesiton about it, however I'd recommend another guitar first and would look on ebay it hasnt let me down yet!

What type of music do you play?

Good luck,

James
# 8
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/04/2002 3:39 am

Hey, thanks for the reply.

My style consists of a mix between metal, funk, blues, jazz, and some of the heavier new stuff. So naturally I needed a good all-around guitar. You guys can bash the S series all day long, but I've found that given its size and weight it's a great guitar. The only drawback is the pickups.

I'll keep Dimarzio and EMG in mind as I continue my quest.

# 9
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/04/2002 4:21 am
Well I would defintely get EMG's without a doubt, at least try to play a guitar with them in it and you'll be hooked. Just an example of how desired they are, a local music store told me they were on a 16 week wait for them, imagine that waiting 4 months for your pickups to come in? Anyway I know first hand they rule and if anything is goning to make your guitar sound awesome it's a nice set of EMG's.

I am not bashing your guitar I had one myself. As you delve more into tone you will pick up tonal charactatistics or qualities that you may have either overlooked or not noticed in the past. When that time comes you will probally want a "higher quality" or basically more pricy guitar. A great guitar doesnt have to cost a fortune I only have yet to play an Ibanez that I truly loved. I am a Fender (and Martin) man and my next guitar will be a les paul studio or custom.

Good luck,

p.s also your gear as in stomp boxes can durastically improve your tone. You can probally get the tone you want without changing your pickups. You may simply need a good od pedal? Go to a music store and try a few overdrives and distortions maybe a line 6 pod? For the money the pod offers alot of versatility.

James
# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/04/2002 6:12 pm
Yeah, you're right....it's mostly in the effects. A good set of pickups can help you cut through all the fuzz when you're using a lot of distortion (which most of the time I am).

I really can't stand Fenders though. My first guitar was a Fender, and it was impossible to do anything with it. It sounded like crap, and it felt like crap. I probably wouldn't take a Fender if someone gave it to me.

But....it's all a matter of personal preference.

BTW, what does everyone know about powered pickups? I used to jam with this guy who had battery powered pickups in his setup. I don't know what kind they were, but his guitar sounded awesome.

# 11
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/04/2002 8:23 pm
As for your fender comment you must of had a really bottom of the line fender. Anything from mex series and up are great. Especially the made in america strats they are amazing. You know Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Malmsteen all play them?

Anyway battery powered pickups? Yeah the EMG's I told you to get are battery powered or "live" pickups and rule. The pickups I have now are not and still rule. You need to try out a "real" fender not whatever you tried out that gave you the misconception that fender is anything but amazing quality.

Hey Fendermonkey77 how did you like your tele you sold?

I am going to get a les paul next but have nothing bad to say about fender.

Good luck
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.