World Cup Fever!!

stratgod
stratgod
05/31/2002 12:04 pm
To all Guitartricks football fans like me the world cup has begun!
I'd just like to send a message that England are gonna give every one else a good kicking!

Cheers!
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 1
AndyP
AndyP
05/31/2002 1:55 pm
Bloody well hope not otherwise we'll have to hear about it for the next 35+ years, just like 1966.
# 2
James8831
James8831
05/31/2002 2:11 pm
play ,and the fans act, like Gentlemen and keep the kicking on the pitch.

I've Scottish ancestry so I will manfully restrain any further comment *thinks peaceful thoughts*

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/31/2002 3:14 pm
France just got kicked by Senegal... Too confident?
# 4
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/31/2002 3:31 pm
Yeh. Senegal sure is a surprise.. :) I think it's good though. Get some excitement in the cup. Soccer kicks arse. I sure hope that Spain or Italy makes it to the finals.. It would be so kewl.. Or something..
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/31/2002 3:38 pm
It was so important for this country to actually do that kind of move, good for them :D
There was something in the news today that brought immense joy in my heart. Some guys from senegal that live in France were singing their anthem while watching their players do it on TV (they were in a bar) and then , they also sang the french anthem.
Now, that's such a great thing, those guys, while remaining Senegalese, have adopted France in such a way that they sing both anthems. If everything was that easy. If soccer could bring that kind of respect between all the nations...
# 6
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/31/2002 3:49 pm
I totally agree with Lal. I think sports are one of the things that truly connects nations. One thing I don't get is racism, and in sports there's no matter which colour you are. That's noe thing I very much appreciate in these games.
I saw one time in Finland, there is this sailing competition here every summer, there was some guy who fell from the boat and a guy from a boat next to the other one jumped in to the water to get the other dude because his leg was attached to some rope. When I saw this I felt that there was something right here, and I noticed that there's something more than just winning in these games also for the competitiors.
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/31/2002 11:23 pm
Ireland are playing at half 7 in the morning, I hate gettin up early.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 8
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
06/01/2002 1:10 pm
and now germany leads 4-0 in the game with saudia
which makes me realy happy of course.
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/04/2002 11:14 am
Originally posted by stratgod
To all Guitartricks football fans like me the world cup has begun!
I'd just like to send a message that England are gonna give every one else a good kicking!

Cheers!

We'll just have to see,won't we?
And Lal,I also wish it would.Really,I would.
But all said,I loved it when France got beat,or to put in moe perspective,when Senegal beat France.I'm supporting all the teams from Africa by default.Even if I expect them to get walloped,I still cheer for them.Most of the people in Africa do this.Some streets in Nairobi got blocked by people watching the soccer in pubs around town.As in the joints are full,people have to stand outside,and watch through the windows.I'm sure the angels got out from their rooms and asked each other "what was that noise?" when that goal was scored.Coz believe me,Africa made a noise.
And I thought South Africa were wack.So I wasn't particularly looking forward to that game.But boy,did they play!?!Sure,they drew,but they(I think) are gonna kick some butt.
I was wondering,do Europeans do that?Support other teams just coz they're from Europe,even if you don't know any of their players or anything?
Just curious.
# 10
James8831
James8831
06/04/2002 3:24 pm
to be specific about but ,in general, in these septic isles
it seems that we have problems relating to a team from the other end of the landmass...

Not a great FOOTBALL fan myself,but, if (for example) France are playing a country I'm less familiar with i'd support France.
# 11
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/04/2002 3:42 pm
As you may know, we have just had Presidential elections in France, and a far right ****er went to the second round (we have elections where you first choose 2 guys, then you vote for one or the other) so it's so cool to see all those black guys dressed in their traditional outfits, living in France, and singing both anthems, and just cheering for both teams. Zinedine ZIDANE is from Marseille, my town, and most kids whose parents came from north africa (just like ZIDANE) listen to him as if he was a god, and he is smart enough to say really smart things and stuff, because he is aware of his influence... I don't really like football, once again, but damn, if those ****ing wars could stop so that we could all watch the finals, as brothers...
# 12
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
06/04/2002 11:14 pm
Partick Vieira is from Senegal originally, which must be embarressing to lose to them.

Irelnad drew 1-1 with Cameroom on Saturday, but I expect both of us to go through, we play Germnay tomorrow.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 13
James8831
James8831
06/05/2002 7:31 am
Those tinpot scared little hitler wannabes get on my wick. Facists?? not in my country or any neighbouring country. JMLP - i'm not violent ,but someone hand me the AK -I'll give you a solid lead vote.

It's sad for France, 90 plus percent of the French people i meet on Holiday in France (etc) are nice and normal,polite and put up with foreign idiots very kindly- so where do all the fascists come from???

Glad to see MR ZIDANE(sp),I vaguely know who he is,doing a "Jesse Owens"
# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/05/2002 9:11 am
Originally posted by James8831
...nice and normal,polite and put up with foreign idiots very kindly- so where do all the fascists come from???

Most people are cool.But when a son/daughterofab**** get's into power,it can get screwed up.Plus like that French guy,me I think they use that "bad boy" image to sell themselves.
Just like the way some musicians use image to sell,as opposed to using their talent.
I mean,human beings are social animals by nature.
But back to the football,I also like France(Henry& Wiltord play for Arsenal,and Arsenal beat Man U in the premier league.Plus people like Zidane are wizards.And if Lebouf says you aint doing ****,you aint doing ****.Remember how he held Ronaldo in the '98 final-I was for Brazil,btw-and Diof that opening match).But if they are playing against an African team,*shrug*.
I didn't know Ireland-Keane would be that good.But they held Cameroun real nice.
I'm loving this world cup.It's probably gonna be the best yet for African teams.
And although James is right,it is political,man,that "Africa" thing is very strong over here.I also saw on CNN a guy in Senegal saying their win had opened up the way for Nigeria and SouthAfrica and Cameroun and Tunisia.You can bet that will be backing these teams when they play,unless of course they're playing Senegal.
# 15
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/05/2002 12:00 pm
Originally posted by James8831
It's sad for France, 90 plus percent of the French people i meet on Holiday in France (etc) are nice and normal,polite and put up with foreign idiots very kindly- so where do all the fascists come from???

We don't know, but it's said it was a protestation vote (against the affairs with the president)
# 16
James8831
James8831
06/05/2002 3:59 pm
Boy! out of the frying pan into the fire!!

I think it's better to stick with a moderate idiot than a zealous "genius". Which, I expect, explains "Junior" as US president.

I meant to ask if you mean they were protesting against his sexual affairs?? Why do people care where the leaders put their genital organs -

i know it's supposed to be a trust issue- but, come on any person of any real sense would suppose that a politician has to be a shifty character and probably inherently untrustworthy, as the nature of politcs and it's machination kind of demand it.

Just my halfpenny's worth.

[Edited by James8831 on 06-05-2002 at 11:12 AM]
# 17
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/05/2002 4:26 pm
Let me explain a bit.
Our President should be in prison. Not like most politicians in the world, but he was CONVICTED with money abuse, and lots of other affairs that sum up to huge amounts of money. When the judges that could be compared to the supreme court in the US called him to testify in his trial, he answered that the constitution didn't allow such a thing.
Well, finally, after lots of yada yada, the court is told that as long that he is President, he cannot be convicted. So the President we have now should be in prison, but he is in a freaking palace with all expenses paid for... Well, people voted far right to tell him that his ass was on a fire... That he shouldn't sit still, or his buttocks will get hot...
# 18
James8831
James8831
06/05/2002 5:40 pm
aaah..i can see the French people's direction of thought now...,your explanation makes sense.

I'm ignorant of French politics so i'll shut up..soon..over here we have "The monster raving loony party" @c, which is the party you vote for if you don't like the main B*st+-*s,er..competitors..so to spoil the vote here you'd get a candidate who wore silly hats and advocates free toffee for all etc.

This is who i'd vote for in the situation you mentioned.

# 19
top hatted
top hatted
06/06/2002 2:42 am
uhm, was this a world cup thread or a politics thread?
Anyway, I think this world cup is all set up, FIFA wants Spain and Brazil to be in the finals. The referees helped both teams in such an incredible way that it makes me think that. If there's nothing set up (let's hope) the winner should be Argentina, an incredible team with the best players in the best age and the best coach.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.