Best Acoustic for small hands with short fingers?

Ossewa
Full Access
Ossewa
Full Access
07/27/2014 12:28 pm
Hi guys. Total new player here. I started the beginner course and enjoying it. I use an electric yamaha Pacifica 112. Thing is my hands and fingers really struggle to do the cords. Now I am thinking it might be easier on an acoustic because the strings might be easier. However acoustics have wider neck so please advise me on a entry level (I am on a budget) acoustic. The yamaha f310 get very good reviews, but I don't know how userfriendly it will be with small hands. Thanks.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/27/2014 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: OssewaHi guys. Total new player here. I started the beginner course and enjoying it. I use an electric yamaha Pacifica 112. Thing is my hands and fingers really struggle to do the cords. Now I am thinking it might be easier on an acoustic because the strings might be easier. However acoustics have wider neck so please advise me on a entry level (I am on a budget) acoustic. The yamaha f310 get very good reviews, but I don't know how userfriendly it will be with small hands. Thanks.

Steel string acoustics, in general, are harder on the hands than an electric. I mostly play acoustically these days but when I pick up one of the electrics, it's like butter.

That's not to say you should be discouraged from buying an acoustic.

Starting with an acoustic is not a bad deal at all. If you have smaller hands, you may want to consider a 3/4 scale guitar. I got the Taylor Baby for my wife but I also played the Martin Koa when we were buying a 3/4 for her and it was also a great guitar with a little bluesier sound.

...now if you are looking at a nylon string, classical type guitar, to me that is a whole different world.

Still...some food for thought.
# 2
compart1
compart1
07/27/2014 2:17 pm
As you state,you are a new player. A lot of people that post here claiming to have small hand because the can not finger chord correctly. They make he same request as you.
The answer is not a smaller guitar, but the practice required to get your hands a better state of muscle memory and flexibility.
The following video is small children playing large guitars. Note the they are using classical guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrmXgj4Q6U

You may consider having a set up done on your guitar. If the set up is not good, it make it harder to play.
Good luck and hope you get this problem straighten out..
# 3
pattyb5
pattyb5
07/29/2014 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: OssewaHi guys. Total new player here. I started the beginner course and enjoying it. I use an electric yamaha Pacifica 112. Thing is my hands and fingers really struggle to do the cords. Now I am thinking it might be easier on an acoustic because the strings might be easier. However acoustics have wider neck so please advise me on a entry level (I am on a budget) acoustic. The yamaha f310 get very good reviews, but I don't know how userfriendly it will be with small hands. Thanks.

I've found that Takamines (ovations too) seem to have smaller necks. In general, Japanese guitars do (ones that are made for the Japanese market). It's one of the reasons I can't play a Japanese strat. Nice guitars though.
# 4
KRodrig1
KRodrig1
08/03/2014 9:31 pm
I used to think I had the same issue as the original poster. I play a Takamine GSC340 accoustic, and while I'm still a novice player, fretting chords does become easier with practice and muscle memory.

One thing to consider is that anything you are passionate about is going to take dedication. Don't lose hope or think to yourself I can't make my fingers do what is needed. I myself am proof that practice really does pay off. I had the same attitude towards barre chords (I'll never get barre chords) but they eventually came. Hard on the ears at first, but now crystal clear tones.

Keep at it.

Cheers.
Regards,
Ken Rodriguez
# 5
Joyful Noyse
Joyful Noyse
08/29/2014 1:49 am
I have a disability that keeps me from playing a regular size guitar, but I have found the parlor size to be the right fit. Maybe that will work for you.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.