View post (Best Acoustic for small hands with short fingers?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/27/2014 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: OssewaHi guys. Total new player here. I started the beginner course and enjoying it. I use an electric yamaha Pacifica 112. Thing is my hands and fingers really struggle to do the cords. Now I am thinking it might be easier on an acoustic because the strings might be easier. However acoustics have wider neck so please advise me on a entry level (I am on a budget) acoustic. The yamaha f310 get very good reviews, but I don't know how userfriendly it will be with small hands. Thanks.

Steel string acoustics, in general, are harder on the hands than an electric. I mostly play acoustically these days but when I pick up one of the electrics, it's like butter.

That's not to say you should be discouraged from buying an acoustic.

Starting with an acoustic is not a bad deal at all. If you have smaller hands, you may want to consider a 3/4 scale guitar. I got the Taylor Baby for my wife but I also played the Martin Koa when we were buying a 3/4 for her and it was also a great guitar with a little bluesier sound.

...now if you are looking at a nylon string, classical type guitar, to me that is a whole different world.

Still...some food for thought.