Finger picking question / help

dmeltzer
dmeltzer
07/18/2014 1:59 am
Hi - I've been primarily an electric player (30 years) and have recently transitioned to acoustic. I bought an Alvarez AG7CE and have just started teaching myself finger picking.

Question - I seem to be catching on to the 'right finger on the right string' and and building speed using a metronome and following Lisa McCormick's lessons. My only concern is my volume (power) - I am using the fleshy part of my finger tips and thumb. Should I be concerned, or is this something that will improve as I build strength in my right hand? I notice that I can get more volume at lower speeds - but get softer the faster I go...

Any suggestions - exercises to build up strength in the right hand?
# 1
JestMe
Full Access
JestMe
Full Access
08/26/2014 9:38 pm
First I would say that it's probably not a question of strength but more a question or method.

The best way to 'pluck' a string IMHO is to use the fingernail. Having said that the method I like is - using a single smooth movement initially contact the string with the flesh of the fingertip and continue the movement in a way that the string contacts the fingernail and kind of snaps off of it, much like a string snapping off a flat pick.

You will need to experiment with the angles, the length of the nails etc... to get it right. Eventually you will have control of the dynamics of the note and be able to play it soft or loud or...

An alternative is to try using finger picks. They take some getting used to and can feel cumbersome and noisy until you get comfortable with them. In terms of finger picks I prefer Alaska Piks though in general my preference is flesh and no picks.

As a further note, with enough playing and practice your picking finger tips can get calloused giving you even more options.

Best of luck. I hope you stick with it. Finger style and fingerpicking can be very challenging but also very rewarding.

I hope this is helpful.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.