finger pattern for major scales

dksucharda
dksucharda
06/16/2014 1:04 am
I have learned the 5 positions of the Pentatonic scale and the fingerings from the low E to the high E at each position. I have learned to move "horizontially" using only 2 strings at a time moving up and down the neck for the pentatonic scale (I know these well). What I am having a hard time finding on guitar tricks or on you tube is a good video on the 4 or 5 patterns for major scales. are there several patterns for the major scale that are similar to the pentatonic scale. I have one pattern from the low e to the high e and can use this at different positions on the neck to play different scales. But there has to be more than one pattern?
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/16/2014 1:33 am
This is what got me started; http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php . Scroll half way down for some nice graphics portraying the shapes.

See also these videos; http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-020-MajHowWhy.php and http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-021-MajFivePos.php .

FYI, Justin has similar pages for the minor pentatonic and other scales.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2014 11:39 am
Originally Posted by: dksuchardaWhat I am having a hard time finding on guitar tricks or on you tube is a good video on the 4 or 5 patterns for major scales.
But there has to be more than one pattern?

Since the diatonic major (and minor) scale has 7 notes, there are a total possible 7 fretboard patterns.

I cover them as the 7 modes of the major scale in this tutorial.

www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

I also cover diatonic major scales across the fretboard in various patterns here.

www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

And diatonic minor scales here.

www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=887

See if those are what you are after! Ask more if necessary & best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
maggior
maggior
06/16/2014 12:15 pm
I've been working with a book called "The Guitar Fretboard Workbook". This book gives you one pattern and leaves it as an exercise to the reader to derive the others. I thought this was a cool idea and it really makes you think about the intervals and how the notes map out on the fretboard. I was surprised at how much I struggled with it at first, but it came together pretty quickly.
# 4
dksucharda
dksucharda
06/16/2014 5:14 pm
john of MT. Thank you for the link to Justin's page. It is awesome. I have seen some of his videos, but have never been to his actual page. His videos explain topics very thoroughly and slowly. His patterns were exactly what I was looking for.

CSchlegel: Thank you for responding. I think it is so cool that the teachers themselves monitor these forums and provide input. I went to the lync you provided me to the A major scale and was easily able to follow you through the first 5 lessons, but on the 6th lesson when the pattern goes beyond 1 octave and includes shifts to move up the neck and play on the G,B,E strings I lose you on the shifts as you come down. I have seen the tabs and fretboard chart below the video, but there are no finger patterns for these. I wish I could play it that easily. On this one video you play it so fast on the way down, I cant follow your fingering pattern. I get about half way down and lose you on what I believe is the 2nd to the third shift (G note on the B string). Ill keep studying the video and see if I can pick it up. I you think you can help in some other way learning the fingering pattern please let me know. Thanks for all the great videos.
# 5
dksucharda
dksucharda
06/16/2014 5:46 pm
watching video 6 over and over, I think I finally got it. Thanks CSchlegel
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/16/2014 10:14 pm
I want to thank you too, Christopher S.. I hadn't seen those tutorials and they're now on my to do list...which is growing and growing... :)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/17/2014 11:35 am
Originally Posted by: dksucharda
CSchlegel: Thank you for responding. I think it is so cool that the teachers themselves monitor these forums and provide input.[/quote]
You are welcome!
[QUOTE=dksucharda]...but on the 6th lesson when the pattern goes beyond 1 octave and includes shifts to move up the neck and play on the G,B,E strings I lose you on the shifts as you come down.

Yes, those are pretty advanced lessons, so I go quickly to keep the sound of the scale flowing.

Descending, I play:

A - pinky
G# - ring
shift
F# - pinky
E - middle
D - index
down to B string
C# - pinky
B - middle
A - index
slide down index to
G#
down to G string
F# - pinky
E - middle
D - index
down to D string
C# - pinky
B - middle
A - index
down to A string
F# - pinky
E - middle
D - index
down to E string
C# - pinky
B - middle
A - index

Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/17/2014 11:40 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTI hadn't seen those tutorials and they're now on my to do list...which is growing and growing... :)

You are welcome, too! There are a few other advanced "reference" type tutorials for scales I've done. These do move pretty quickly because they assume a certain level of understanding & skill.

On my instructor directory there is a section called Visualizing Scale Patterns that is lots of fun!

http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.