Guitar "auditions"

Tom1951
Tom1951
06/12/2014 1:34 pm
I enjoy this forum and all of the gear discussions but have a question regarding choosing and buying new guitars. Obviously, the mechanical aspects are critical, scale length, neck radius/feel, action, etc. However, playing the instrument and determining if the sound is "right" makes all the difference. Therein lies my question.
When "auditioning" a guitar, how do you decide what amp, settings, and effects should be used as they have a great deal to do with the sound. I would think you want to know what the guitar can do and minimize the the "external" influences. How would this be accomplished or is it even a consideration? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tom
# 1
maggior
maggior
06/12/2014 3:02 pm
Choose the amp that you currently use in the store. If they don't have the exact amp, find one that is similar.

You are right that the amp has an impact.

You want to keep as much as you can familiar - play familiar songs on the guitar, hold it in a familiar way (if you normally stand, bring a guitar strap!), and plug it into familiar amp with familiar settings. This will minimize the "I brought the guitar home and it doesn't sound like it did in the store" scenario.

Bring a tuner with you so you can evaluate the tuners. Also not how stable the tuning is.

Make sure there is a good return policy and that you will have time to play the guitar at home to complete your evaluation. I can tell you that even when you do everything right in the store, you'll still find things you missed when you get home.
# 2
Tom1951
Tom1951
06/13/2014 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorChoose the amp that you currently use in the store. If they don't have the exact amp, find one that is similar.

You are right that the amp has an impact.

You want to keep as much as you can familiar - play familiar songs on the guitar, hold it in a familiar way (if you normally stand, bring a guitar strap!), and plug it into familiar amp with familiar settings. This will minimize the "I brought the guitar home and it doesn't sound like it did in the store" scenario.

Bring a tuner with you so you can evaluate the tuners. Also not how stable the tuning is.

Make sure there is a good return policy and that you will have time to play the guitar at home to complete your evaluation. I can tell you that even when you do everything right in the store, you'll still find things you missed when you get home.

Great advice. Thanks.
Tom
# 3
maggior
maggior
06/13/2014 2:01 pm
Good luck! Let us know how your guitar buying adventure goes.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/14/2014 11:55 am
Some additional thoughts...

When I try out guitars, I don't care what amp I am using.

Why?

I'm probably going to have the guitar much longer than the amp. This may not totally be true but, for so many players, it applies. I may try it on a couple of different amps.

It may be that I am less concerned about the amp because I kinda know my tastes in pick ups and tend to look at instruments that have those pick ups or understand that I may need to invest more in to pick ups that are a match to the instrument as I want to hear it.

Easy for me to say...I haven't bought a new electric guitar in a while but I guess when I have done my purchases in the past, I kinda knew where I was going and what I needed to get there.

So, there's a 'non-answer'.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.