Good Shredding and Sweep picking

cBoss
cBoss
05/27/2002 5:18 pm
When i hear good shredding and sweeps, its hard to hear what type of patterns they r using. to start off, i know good shredding patterns, but i cant seem to play them fast enough, and i am alternate picking. I cant seem to connect fast alternate picking w/ the patterns. Is there a trick or do u just need practice?

reguarding sweeps....ive seen it done, but the picking sequence is hard to distinguish. r u supposed to alternate pick those, or is it just a sweeping motion w/ extrememly fast fingering....someone help me out, thanks
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/27/2002 5:55 pm
sweeping is actually your right hand motion.
Your left hand only lifts its fingers once the note is played.
To increase your speed, only work to a metronome, and increase slowly (day after day, week after week)
# 2
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
05/28/2002 10:29 am
The only time I ever use a metronome is to see what speed i'm up to, I never use it to increase speed. If your playing shreading patters just practice them slowly and let them grow. As for picking, try what you feel comfortable with and also have a go at learning other ways of doing it....if you work from tab like I do this is quite easy to do....that way you have your own style plus something else to draw on if you want to.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/28/2002 4:14 pm
Originally posted by ^Chacron^
The only time I ever use a metronome is to see what speed i'm up to, I never use it to increase speed. If your playing shreading patters just practice them slowly and let them grow. As for picking, try what you feel comfortable with and also have a go at learning other ways of doing it....if you work from tab like I do this is quite easy to do....that way you have your own style plus something else to draw on if you want to.

Practicing without a metronome can make your playing sloppy, I know what I talk about, I've lost some years practicing without one...
# 4
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
06/03/2002 7:11 pm
I was always taught NEVER to play along with a metronome, especially for the piano, the reason being it makes your playing sound mechanical. I learned to keep time simply by hearing it, or if it was awkward timing play slowly and work up to speed.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/03/2002 8:27 pm
there's 2 schools about it. But people who tell you not to play with a metronome will tap the floor to make you feel the beat (substitute)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.