Blues in Bm Jam Take 3 w/LP

maggior
maggior
07/23/2014 2:49 pm
I have a valveking myself. It's going to be interesting playing it out for the first time. I've never really been able to really crank it up to see what it can do.

That's really cool that you got to see Joe Perry up close in concert with Aerosmith. At some point I plan to learn some of his solos and licks. I've been a fan or early Aerosmith for a long time...since the mid 70's! Toys in the Attic and Rocks were amongst the first records I bought.

Didn't know you were a Beatles fan! Cool.
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
07/23/2014 4:11 pm
What can I say? I pretty much grew up with the stereo constantly playing either Beatles or Queen. I think my dad had a thing for that classic Vox-Tone... It's only really after joining this site that my tastes in music started to expand drastically. I did have a short period where Aerosmith was just the only band being played on YouTube, but that lasted a month or two, then I got over it. Then I heard Soren Andersen and his "partner in crime" Mika Vandborg on YouTube by coincidence, and I got hooked on their music and picked up a guitar shortly afterwards... In other words, I pretty much grew up listening to people making funny noises with a Vox AC30... And yet it's not the Amp I'd pick if I could have any one Amp for free...

I don't know if the Valveking I've tried is the same model as yours. The one I tried was a 100W Valveking 212 combo, and it could play pretty loud. I tried it while playing with a band almost a year ago now, because my Mustang couldn't keep up with the volume, and the Valveking never got cranked.

I'm also planning on learning some of Aerosmith's tunes. I think there's something along the lines of 15 Aerosmith-songs on my ever-growing list of songs that I think could be fun to learn... I think if I count the number of songs, that list is well into the 3-digit numbers now... For someone who would rather not play covers only, I've got plenty of songs to learn on my list (is that what they call hypocrisy?)...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 2
maggior
maggior
07/23/2014 4:42 pm
My ValveKing is 50 watts with a single speaker. Yeah, the 212 is 100 watts with 2 speakers. I have a feeling the 50 watts should be more than enough. I'll find out soon enough.

The Beatles were introduced to me by a family friend when I was young. My friends in my early teen years all like Beatles also. Beatles songs were the first songs I learned to play. Could be worse things :-).

Yeah, for a guy that doesn't like to play covers, you sure have a long list!! :-). It's good for you though...it will help you form and discover your style.

I'm coming around your way a little. Even though our cover band hasn't really gotten off the ground yet, I can easily see a day where I grow tired of playing the same songs again and again. At some point the thrill of learning songs in a given genre will get old.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
07/23/2014 6:17 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorYeah, for a guy that doesn't like to play covers, you sure have a long list!! :-). It's good for you though...it will help you form and discover your style.[/QUOTE]
And, learning some covers is a good way to learn some licks. And there's no shame in learning a cover or fifty. Besides, once I start gigging with a band, having a few covers under my finger-tips will become very useful. It'll make it easier to find a band if I can already play some known songs, it'll make it easier to fill a set in case of gigs until there's enough original material and it'll just give me (or rather, me and my band) a way to show people what kind of bands I'm into. Heck, most of my favorite bands still play covers today. Motley Crue still plays "Helter Skelter" by The Beatles. Guns N' Roses still plays "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", "Live And Let Die" and usually "Whole Lotta Rosie". Pretty Maids, an 80's Hair-Metal band who survived the 90's Grunge movement and become more Modern Heavy Metal, still plays Thin Lizzy's "Please Don't Leave Me". Lots of great bands still honor their idols by playing their songs, so I can't really see why I shouldn't do the same, when I think about it.

[QUOTE=maggior]I'm coming around your way a little. Even though our cover band hasn't really gotten off the ground yet, I can easily see a day where I grow tired of playing the same songs again and again. At some point the thrill of learning songs in a given genre will get old.

Funny. I'm slowly starting to come around your way, as can be seen with my lengthy list of songs that I could see myself learning to play Live. I'm prett luck that the songs I have on that list are pretty varied. There's some classic rock, 80's Hair-Metal, Rock Ballads, Blues-Rock, Modern Heavy Metal... There's a good mix of different stuff, so I should be able to vary it just a little :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
maggior
maggior
07/23/2014 6:38 pm
The song list we have now is totally stuck in the 60's and 70's. I sent out a list of songs from the 80's and 90's I think we could do. Other members in the band have never heard of either the songs or bands. Perhaps we should call our band Generation Gap :-).

There is a ton of great stuff from the 60's and 70's to play. I'm starting to understand why some players are in multiple bands. If I want to play some newer and heavier stuff, I may need to find an addional band to play in.

One step at a time though...gotta get this band off the ground. We are poised for take-off...
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
07/23/2014 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorThe song list we have now is totally stuck in the 60's and 70's. I sent out a list of songs from the 80's and 90's I think we could do. Other members in the band have never heard of either the songs or bands. Perhaps we should call our band Generation Gap :-).

There is a ton of great stuff from the 60's and 70's to play. I'm starting to understand why some players are in multiple bands. If I want to play some newer and heavier stuff, I may need to find an addional band to play in.

One step at a time though...gotta get this band off the ground. We are poised for take-off...

I just found out a moment ago, while reading the newspaper, that the town I live in is actually pretty much like Hollywood in the 80's. There's a very healthy music-scene in the local area, with the musicians displaying a generally high level of technical proficiency, and it's been right under my nose this whole time. I'm actually quite surprised, considering that there's no decent gear store within 25 kilometers. The only gear store in town is a small shack that only carries Ibanez guitars and Solid-State Amps... And the guitar-teachers in the area aren't even nearly as good as the ones found here. Heck, Guitar Fundamentals 1 covers more material than the guitar-teachers in town do in a year, which is just plain sad. But, I should be able to find someone to start a band if I just put up an advert in the right spots :) Might get me moving forward a bit faster.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
compart1
compart1
07/23/2014 8:54 pm
Hey Rich, Love the name " Generation Gap"
# 7
maggior
maggior
07/24/2014 12:10 pm
I thought we were settled on a name, but we are not. Close though.

Our drummer suggested "Generation Gap" as a joke in response to a list of songs from the 90's I thought we could do...she had never heard of any of it!

I've kicked it back as a serious contender. It could be a cool name.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.