Just Social

Willdridge
Willdridge
04/14/2000 7:55 pm
Hey, I've been visiting Gutiar Tricks for a few months, only recently started looking at the message boards and I was just wondering, who else takes time out to come here, what're your interests, locations, ages, y'know, all that stuff - Just trying to make some friends around here...Me, I've 14 and I've been playing guitar for just over a year, I live in the UK and I spend most of my time trying to learn the tricks found here (or make up my own stuff), listen to music and having a good time....what about you guys/girls?...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
04/15/2000 2:13 am

Girls? We got, like, one girl. She's my girlfriend. She likes to check out what's going on at the forum.

I took a poll on the front page once that said "are you male or female?" 88.9% of us are male....you can still see the poll at http://www.guitartricks.com/polls.shtml

I'm 34 and live in California. I like to go backpacking and snowboarding. I've been playing guitar since I was 8.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/15/2000 2:37 am
da*n jon, i thought you were like in your mid 40's. usually when a person starts playing they start in there teenage years.
i just assumed that cause you said you have playing the guitar for 25 years.

------------------
Jake Sommers

[This message has been edited by jake sommers (edited 04-19-2000).]
"Take my hand boss"
# 3
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/15/2000 2:53 am
time for my little bio my real name is matt long for those who haven't read my bio on guitartricks. i usually spend my whole day playing guitar and writing since i'm out of school right now with various injuries. i have fun by just driving around town with my dad letting him tell me about all the classic rock bands, looking at public access and laughing at the goofy looking people, going to guitar center and playing with the most expensive guiitar and letting the salespeople think i'm going to buy it and tell them i'll buy it next month and i don't.
but my favorite thing is to just chill with my friends when i can.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/16/2000 4:41 am
Hi, my real name is Bambi. I'm 18 years old with long blonde hair and blue eyes.
I like long walks on the beach, pretty daisies on a sunny morning and men who aren't afraid to cry.
xoxo
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/16/2000 6:07 pm
LoL :0),
y'see, ya try and be fair, you try not to discriminate against those few who choose to become and minority and look what happens!!!! (If you were actually serious there Schmange, then D'OH!!!)
See, I wasn't sayin' "girls" as a hint, (think my girlfriend would be a llllllllittle peeved) but just in case there were one or two around and so they didn't start off with, "Actually...", just tryin' to cover my back! Sigh, dunno why I bother n-e more! Dunno why I bother....
# 6
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
04/17/2000 3:44 am
My real name is Ryan, I'm 16, and I live in Olympia Washington. I've been playing for about 3 years now. I play in a Straightedge Hardcore band, but privatly play Blues and Shred. I'm playing a BC Rich Warlock through a Peavy somethin'-or-other, but am saving up for a Marshall half-stack.
# 7
milkybardave
milkybardave
04/27/2000 9:31 pm
Hi, my name's Dave, I'm 28 & from Southampton, England, I've only been playing for about 6 months (a late starter), It started when a friend of mine asked if i would roadie for him at a gig, I was so impressed by how easy he, and the other guitarist in the band made it look I was inspired to pick up an axe, I'm currently trying to teach myself, as funds won't allow proper lessons, but the guy's in the band help out alot, and have invaluable advice for a beginner, I'm now sound/lighting engineer at their gigs and enjoy the whole experience of being with the band, and maybe one day (if I practice enough) I might be able to take to the stage. I'm aiming for a performance with the band at my 30th birthday celebration in September next year.
Is this unreasonable???
I'm practicing for 2 hours + a day, is this enough??, answers on a postcard or e-mail me.
Also If you know of any other good sites where I can pick up good tips, I would be most grateful. Cheers. Dave.
# 8
Mordant
Mordant
04/28/2000 11:09 pm
If the situation stays like its: 1) The high external motivation of being around music and musicians all day 2) internal motivation of having a set goal and a set time frame 3) opportunity to learn from proficient musicians 4) the focus of limited goal: you need to know songs to play with this particular band, so you can focus on learning those well, rather learning 10 years worth of "GuitarWanker" transcriptions...
Yeah, I think you can do it. It will still take a lot of dedication to build up the strength (I think we tend to underestimate the finger strength playing guitar takes... try switching hands sometime :P ), stamina, and accuracy that you're gonna want, though.
Might wanna practice 3 hours a day

------------------
Sharp, Flat, I'm the one with the axe.
Sharp, Flat, I'm the one with the axe.
# 9
milkybardave
milkybardave
04/30/2000 12:41 pm
Cheers Mordant,

Its also helps when you get encouragement from fellow musicians.

Thanx

Dave
# 10
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
04/30/2000 6:53 pm

You'll probably want to practice with a drum machine (or midi drums off the web) or with a record. Something that will give you an external tempo source.

A lot of people in their first year become good at playing alone but can't play with others.

Practicing playing along with something (instead of alone) will go a long way toward getting you ready.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
milkybardave
milkybardave
05/01/2000 7:58 pm
Again, more helpful advice, that a book just don't tell ya.

You guys are so friendly, I have recomended your site to a couple of guitar playing friends, the more the merrier right?

I just hope that one day I may be able to contribute a few "tricks" of my own.

Cheers

Dave
# 12
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/02/2000 3:47 pm
Another tip.....try and practice with people around.....I'm guessing convidence is good on stage with people watching you....the reason I'm guessing is because I've still yet to play a gig, and I'm not renouned (spelling) for confidence.....oh well - Keep practising, but possibly more importantly is to remember to enjoy yourself....is hard work, but if you have fun you won't really mind.....
# 13
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
05/02/2000 9:54 pm
I'm 45, been "playing" 27 years,(God it's been that long ?)and that's my real name in the Big Apple. Practice, practice, practice...with records (showing my age ?) CD's, tapes, radio, or other musicians if possible. If you're going to be a solo act, you can practice by yourself and perfect your sound but if you want to play with others ya' gotta practice with others. I play a Rickenbacker solid body (model 480-looks just like the Rickenbacker 4001 bass) through either a Fender Super Reverb (circa 1973) or a Marshall MOSFET Lead 100. The length of practice time is not as important as what you do during that time. Just my .02c
# 14
Breaker
Breaker
05/04/2000 4:04 am
Quick intro. My name is Ed, I'm 35 and have been playing for just over a year now. I've been a drummer for 22 years and finally decided to give the guitar a go after setting up a home studio. I quickly learned that I love the instrument. Strange to have just figured this out after being in bands and around some great players for so long. I think it was just putting in enough effort to see some progress that got me excited. So far I'm very pleased with my playing. Even surprised some friends which was nice.

I've always been into a wide variety of music but with a focus on melodic power metal and progressive metal. Some of my favorite guitarists include John Petrucci, Michael Schenker and Wolf Hoffmann of ACCEPT. Strangely enough, after having been a huge fan of ACCEPT through my late teens and 20's my path crossed with Wolf on a business level at one point and we ended up becoming good friends. So it's pretty wild to watch him play in person and have him actually teaching me some of my favorite ACCEPT riffs. He event went as far as to give me an amazing custom Hamer guitar as a gift. That alone is enough inspiration to play every day! But I digress.

Long story short (too late), I really do love to play. I try to practice as much as work and family time permits. I'm primarily self-taught with the aid of books and videos but I'm getting ready to take lessons from a good friend and amazing player here in the Tampa, FL area. (You can check out some of his instrumental work at http://www.mp3.com/toddgrubbs ) That should give me a lot of insight into the theory aspects as well as technique.

Great to have found a cool site and forum such as this. I wish everyone the best in their own musical pursuits!

(BTW, Wolf's site that I run is http://www.wolfhoffmann.com You can check out his instrumental takes on some classical pieces at http://www.mp3.com/wolfhoffmann )
# 15
tous
tous
05/06/2000 2:06 pm
Allright, my turn...

My name is Niels Toussaint and I live in The Netherlands, I'm 18 years old and I haven't been playing that long...For about half a year now.
My main hobby is driving my neighbours crazy with my guitar

# 16
Tobias
Tobias
05/13/2000 11:20 am
My name is Tobias Reber, I'm from Vechigen,Switzerland. I have taken classical and jazz guitar lessons for about 5 1/2 years until I quit in January. I have also been playing electric guitar since maybe about two or three years, but in my funk band I only played chords and stuff. I have been learning to play rock lead guiter on my own since last summer and it works pretty good. My favourite players are John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Vinnie Moore and also Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai.
# 17
winghoong
winghoong
05/19/2000 12:50 pm
..errr...hie..everyone..
my name is winghoong... i am from malaysia..
i am 19 years old..studying second year...in a university here...
i've been playing guitar for almost 4 years..
the first 3 years...just strumming...plucking those acoustic guitars... this year..i am really into it.. i really understand why guitars so feel..and guitar now..really a part of my life.. i am into it..serious....hehehe..ok...nice to mee you all... ssee you...
# 18
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/04/2000 7:10 am
Hey, my name is Erik Hagen. I've been a Host for about a month now and I love it. I started playing when I was in the 7th grade, and as the years rolled by the guitars and theory knowledge piled up. I used to be into Metallica a lot, but now I'm into Vai, Satch, and Petrucci. I'm also getting into classical and acoustic stuff. The biggest discovery I've made thus far is that all the little details of your playing style affect the big picture immensely. To get your technique right, record stuff and listen to yourself - it helps.

[This message has been edited by ekstasis16 (edited 06-04-2000).]
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 19
iluvmetallica
iluvmetallica
06/07/2000 1:43 am
Well it's good that people our age are learning the guitar. I'm 13 and have now been playing for 1 year. It's the easiest thing in the world if you put your mind to it and I can't get enough of it. My e-mail adrress should be in my profile. E-mail me everyone.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.