View post (Revisit Lessons)

View thread

ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
04/21/2014 5:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizard
Just try to use logic when you're going through this stuff. If you've learned the pattern for C major, and now you want to play D major, you're not going to play the same notes as C major... otherwise all the major scales would be just one scale!
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I was not using logic and applying notes, not the pattern and it my brain kept telling me that they would all be the same then. Now with the pattern (WS,HS, etc) it all makes sense on how you get your different sounding patterns.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]
Big piece of advice with this stuff... don't just learn a scale pattern and then say "oh that's it, I've got it mastered.."... you need to apply it, actually use it in a song, solo, whatever. If you just learn the pattern and then never use it a musical context, it won't stick. When you start using this stuff in context, it tends to make much more sense! :)

I have a mindset of practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I have not used the scales much because I have a feeling I was doing them wrong (and I was all wrong on it) and I was afraid I would practice them a ton and ingrain the wrong info in my head, which I would have.

Now I am going to practice them for a couple weeks and then work on moving around the fret board in them over some backtracks for practice. Thanks!
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...