Picking - Alternate vs Economy

TheDirt
TheDirt
05/20/2002 8:34 pm
I'd like everyone's opinion on picking style...
Which is better and why - Alternate picking or "Economy Picking"?

Here's an example (which you may need to copy and paste into Notepad to line up properly). Say I'm playing this on the B and E strings...

|---9-10-7-9----7---|
|-7----------10---9-|

I could alternate pick and go - down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up.
Or I could economy pick and go - down, down, up, down, up, up, down, up (or substitute the last two strokes for up, up)

Which is better in the long run?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 1
Slasher
Slasher
05/20/2002 9:11 pm
It depends what I'm doing. If it's a fast solo I will alternate pick, but if it's steady passed lick or riff or solo, then I will vary my up down strokes, coz when I vary it I seem to think more emotion comes out. But for speed solo's it's just easier to alternate pick.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 2
faav
faav
05/20/2002 9:55 pm
Interesting question
There is another way to approach picking: thinking 'inside' or 'outside'. With this I mean the following:

Let's say you're playing this:

e|--------------|
b|--------------|
g|---9---9---9--|
d|-7---7---7----|
a|--------------|
e|--------------|

You could play: down up down up down up which means you play the d-string coming from the side of the a-string, and you play the g-string coming from the side of the b-string.
This I would call 'outside' since the pick is never between the d and g strings.

You could also play up down up down etc. playing d coming from g and playing g coming from d. This I would call 'inside' since the pick moves between the d and g.

Playing your example 'inside' I would go: up down up down up up down up, alternate picking, except for the economy-double up.

# 3
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/21/2002 12:33 pm
Well if you do the "inside" picking,
isnt that going the wrong way?
say you've picked the D string and are going for
the G string, then you have to go over the
D string, avoid it, and then pick the G.
I think thats way to complicated if you have to
play accurate and fast.
Plus the movement gets bigger so its harder to
play fast.
But thats just me, I use the "outside".

I have a small question of my own:

What end of the pick do you use for "nudging"
or whatever its called, fast picking maybe..?
If I play moderate speed, I use the sharp edge,
since its more accurate.
If its supposed to be really fast, I use the rounded edge,
because then the pick sort of slides over the strings.
The sharp edge grabs the string more than the rounded does,
so then the speed suffers.
But of course that gives you less accuracy.
Tough decision.
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
05/21/2002 9:21 pm
mc9mm, what do you mean by "really fast"? Like sixteenth notes at what tempo? I find that at tempos that are somewhat fast, like 16ths at 110 bpm, there's no problem with the sharp edge of the pick "grabbing" the strings, but I use a pick where the "sharp edge" is somewhat rounded (I use Tortex 1 mm, the light blue ones). I also have picks that come to an actual point, but I don't like the feel of them. My advice is that unless you're going for the "notes so fast and blurry it sounds like a wall of sound", kind of like "Jupiter Proximity" by Bofatron Sofasaurus, you should use the sharp edge of the pick for clarity and definition of sound.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
faav
faav
05/21/2002 11:27 pm
Originally posted by mc9mm
Well if you do the "inside" picking,
isnt that going the wrong way?
say you've picked the D string and are going for
the G string, then you have to go over the
D string, avoid it, and then pick the G.

mc9mm, I don't think the skip is a problem.
And if it were, you'd have the same prob. trying to play outside: coming from d, you have to skip the g, and then come back to pick it.
If you play alternating, you're already using both inside and outside playing. Bet you never noticed there could be a problem.

To answer your question: I always use the sharp edge of the pick. The thing to try is not to dig in too deep between the strings. Using the rounded edge will prevent you from digging in too deep, because the edge will catch the string sooner. But it eats your tone.

There is a great tool for practicing the right 'picking depth'. It's called the Stylus Pick. Check it out on http://www.styluspick.com But don't get carried away with the hype they make. The right picking depth is just one element of playing, it's nothing without two-hand-coordination.
# 6
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/22/2002 2:06 am
Just do whatever feels good, dude.

*strolls off to smoke a joint*

# 7
cBoss
cBoss
05/24/2002 8:21 pm
yo, can someone tell me how to sweep pick. ive seen it done but its hard to tell whats goin on. someone post back. thanks
# 8
snimbkar
snimbkar
06/04/2002 9:22 pm
Basically the concept is to play the notes of the chord seperately, BUT, The seperation is what is "exaggerated" so that the sweep sounds like individual notes and not a strummed chord. Muting is the key, before and after each note.

sweeping is not really something that someone can "tell you to do"

It's best to have someone show you, check out videos by Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert and Yngwie, as they demonstrate a lot of basic sweep techniques, I would stay away from Frank Gambale for now until you are really comfortable with the technique as some of his sweeps are totally insane. WAY ADVANCED

Start with the three listed. Build your foundation , then work on sweeping dom7#9 arpeggios and such.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.