View post (song writing)

View thread

Craig Antley
Craig Antley
06/03/2014 11:55 pm
I write songs too but am not much of a vocalist yet. I agree you should take lessons. I've started taking lessons and not only is helping me improvise singing on pitch but it's helping my playing as it is strengthening my ear. I didn't realize how important it was to singing until after we lost our singer and I tried to show people my songs. A key point to a powerful song is the vocal melody and inflections. While I realize that it's going to take a couple years to really learn how to sing, I'm working at it each day with what my teacher goes over. It's slowly improving and I"m hearing/finding different melodies to my already written songs. You can only grow as a songwriter through learning how to sing, even if it's not what you want to do in the band.

Originally Posted by: timr1984So? Not many threads on this topic.

I love to write songs.

I's not a professional song writer by any means. I am an ok Guitarist and I have equipment that lets me record a little. I get ideas all the time and so I lay down some tracks.

I am hampered as I suck as a vocalist and of course writing songs helps if you can sing it a little, even if it is only to the person, who you asking to sing the vocal part.

does any one else like to write songs?