View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2014 12:50 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777All that makes a lot of sense![/quote]
Good deal. That's what we are after.

I saw you asking about gear & tone in another thread. That is a very large & deep rabbit hole. :) Regarding info on YJM (or any other well-known player), and the basics of gear (Marshalls, amps, speakers, guitars, etc.) there is a wealth of info on the web; usually at the artist's own site or on Wikipedia. A Google search usually can get you what you need to know.
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777
I agree, even if some people don't like too many of Yngwie's songs, you gotta respect his ability. Have you seen the videos of him playing with the New Japan Philharmonic? Like Toccata or Fugue?
[/quote]
Here's where I get to show how old I am. :p

I had already been learning & playing guitar for 8 years when I first heard YJM. I started by learning some Beatles, Stones & Monkees songs. Later, I was digging Van Halen, Deep Purple, Montrose, Kiss & other 70s & early 80s rock music. In spring 1984, a guitar playing friend of mine comes over with a cassette tape he just bought, "Dude, you've got to hear this guy!" I still remember sitting on my front porch listening to Black Star blasting out of a little battery powered tape player.

Wow.

We were totally stunned! I remember thinking, "That guy is doing Blackmore, Bach & Beethoven on a screaming Strat! At light speed! I want to do that!"

I got to see him as the opening act in 1985 when he came through St. Louis where I grew up. By that time I'd bought both first albums & slowed down all the solos on my record turntable; and also on a reel-to-reel tape machine to half-speed. I finally learned a few of the tunes & was able to play them in cover bands for the next decade or so. My faves to listen to & play were always Black Star & Far Beyond The Sun. Great stuff. :)

I've always enjoyed his instrumental work more than the songs with lyrics which I did not enjoy. Except for the solos & licks. I was very excited to hear about his Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar & Orchestra because I love classical music & YJMs playing. I bought it & have enjoyed it ever since. The vids of him playing with the Japanese orch are excellent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerto_Suite_for_Electric_Guitar_and_Orchestra

I saw him again in a couple of clubs in the early 2000s, still shredding away! I don't collect autographs, or normally have any interest in them. YJMs is the one exception to that rule.
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777
But regarding Black Star's chorus, I know what you're saying in having to bend up slow and confidently; I have to make sure I go slow enough in order to hear the full range of the bend.

Yes, and also, keep in mind that it is 2 guitars playing in harmony with each other.
[QUOTE=bbzswa777]
I also noticed what you're talking about regarding the scalloped fret board in another video. That's the first I've ever heard about it. I guess it would make it so there's less friction when bending? It would be cool to try that out but I'm too scared to do that to any guitar I've spent money on!

Yes, there is less material (the wood of the fretboard) in your way. But it is also a bit harder to get used to being accurate at first. And please do not try that at home! There is a YJM Fender Strat artist model guitar that is already scalloped from the factory. There is also a Ritchie Blackmore model that is scalloped.

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster-scalloped-maple-fingerboard-vintage-white/

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/ritchie-blackmore-stratocaster-scalloped-rosewood-fingerboard-olympic-white/
[QUOTE=bbzswa777]
Anyway, I guess I'm realizing that learning all about the gear it takes to create certain tones is almost as big of a learning process as learning the guitar itself. Like when you said his sound goes through several amps, I'm not sure how to even go about doing that or what purpose is serves.

Yes, it is a big process! But it is also part of the fun: trying out new & different gear, exploring all the possible sounds & tones.

YJM typically uses more than one Marshall amp and the purpose is to PLAY LOUD. :D But he would sound just like himself though one amp or a small practice amp.

And there is an important lesson there. It's great to chase tone & get inspired by, learn from & copy licks from your heroes. It's a great place to start when you are learning. But it's also important to remember that the best you can hope for at the end of that road is to sound just like someone else. In the end, you want to use what you learn from your influences to find your own sound, your own tone, to blaze your own trail.

Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory