Trying to get serious about guitar--mutual support?

danlmanll
danlmanll
03/03/2014 12:17 pm
Hey there,

I have tried-without-really-trying to learn guitar at various times in my life, but hopefully I can be more serious about guitar at my current age (40s) without as many distractions (trying to be optimistic about the few benefits of learning later in life!). If I don't learn this time around, I fear I never will...

I have not been able to find a live teacher where I live, so I am dependent on guitar tricks and other internet support. I have heard good things about the guitar tricks community, so I am wondering if there are other learners out there who may want some mutual support: sharing progress reports, offering suggestions on good lessons, keeping one another on track and honest, and otherwise cheering one another on.

I just figure this journey may be a little easier if shared. I welcome encouragement from and connections with any guitar players and would-be players, but others who may be in a similar situation--trying to learn later in life--are particularly welcome.

Happy practicing!

Best,
Daniel
# 1
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/03/2014 1:34 pm
Welcome from another late learner in his 40s

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 2
compart1
compart1
03/03/2014 1:47 pm
Hi Daniel...
Welcome to Guitar Tricks. There are plenty of re-learners here of all ages. Plenty of the folks here that are very senior to you.
Make sure your guitar has a good set-up.
If you detail about your progress, problem and aspirations I'm sure someone will jump in an help out.
My best suggestion is to have a good practice space where your guitar is always handy. (for spontaneous playing ) Set up a good practice time and routine .
Go through the Core fundamental 1 & 2. Take notes. Particularly what lessons you are working on. This will help other to get to and understand where you are having problems.
You will hear all the time, Practice, Practice, Practice..
If you have to take time off because of fingertip pain, then I would suggest learning the web site.
Happy pickin and rock on..
# 3
tweety67
tweety67
03/03/2014 2:10 pm
Count me in as a 40+ learner that is finally trying to get more serious about learning.
# 4
fretsmith
fretsmith
03/03/2014 3:09 pm
Welcome! Based on introductions you'll find the post-40 crowd is very,very well represented here. As is the post-50 crowd!

Good luck - and never hesitate to participate in this forum. I've gotten really thoughtful advice from both instructors and users here. Guitar people love to "talk guitar" - regardless of the level. Good to have you.
# 5
maggior
maggior
03/03/2014 3:30 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithWelcome! Based on introductions you'll find the post-40 crowd is very,very well represented here. As is the post-50 crowd!

Good luck - and never hesitate to participate in this forum. I've gotten really thoughtful advice from both instructors and users here. Guitar people love to "talk guitar" - regardless of the level. Good to have you.

Wecome aboard Daniel!!! The commuity is very active, informativ, and supportive. I couldn't have put it better than fretsmith!!!
# 6
danlmanll
danlmanll
03/04/2014 11:13 am
Many thanks to all who replied and offered encouragement. It is nice to know there is a community at GT, since I don't have a local guitar playing community. Also great to know I am not necessarily alone at re-starting learning guitar at my age.

Best regards,
Daniel
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.