View post (Define the word sell-out?)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/21/2002 5:10 pm
I think "selling out" is when you do something beneath your capabilities just for the sake of making money.

I don't think Satch trying to copy himself is selling out. I think if Satch started playing like Wes Borland and putting out albums that sound like Limp Bizket just to make money would be considered selling out. An opera singer singing Madonna tunes would in my book be considered selling out.

I think when you sacrafice your artistic integrity just to satisfy the big corprations your selling out. For instance: my friend plays in a rock band that was getting some serious attention from a major label. After a couple of months of this label checking them out they told the band they were really interested in signing them but wanted them to change there feel from rock to country pop, they of course did.

I think as artists were all faced with the dilemma of selling out sometime in our careers. I know even on a local level you can go out and make lots of money playing in wedding bands or top 4o cover bands, the only skill these gigs require is the ability to reproduce other peoples music authentically. Your often faced with performing songs you can't stand just to satisfy the audience (anybody remember the Macerana?). These are issues all artists face an all levels.