View post (Define the word sell-out?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/18/2002 8:28 pm
educatedfilm's definition of selling out: Letting your artistic desicion be affected by a compulsion/ drive/ need to make money.

That means, if you change your music to sell, then your selling out. Keeping your music the exact same, cos it sold before, cos you want to still make as much money as the last record, is also selling out.

Notice, that in my definition, letting songs get aired on ads is not selling out, if the song was not originally written for the ad.
Me, personally, when i get serious about writting songs, i'll write for the sake of it. I'd love it if got recognised, and published to the masses, and maybe some money would be a bonus. My main goal, is just making music, my second is recognition. I dont regard the money making aspect very highly, but i'm also not naive enough to think money is not important, cos it costs money to make music, money to get the advertising which would get some recognition. THen again, I do have good options, I mean really, my career path is not music, but i'd love to have some musical sucess.