r there any good rythme players out there

natethegreat2186
natethegreat2186
05/15/2002 6:20 pm
i really really love playing rythme. but most of the time its hard trying to find out how to get a really great rythme going. any tips on that?????????????
Peace Out and God Bless
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
05/15/2002 8:33 pm
Get to swinging your wrist and never stop!!! If you miss a chord, or just take a while for the chord change DO NOT stop strumming or slow down to accommodate your slower left hand. Just mute the strings and keep on strumming. You may not always get your chords out on beat, but the percussive chunk will drive the song along. A second method would be to start changing chords BEFORE the next measure so you can nail the chord on the measure. But whatever you do, keep your wrist going all the time at the same speed.

I used to just not play while changing chords, but I'd come back off beat sometimes. This way, you're never off beat. If you stop moving your wrist while playing rhythm it's hell to get it back to speed. You're bound to lose a couple milliseconds here and there, and that's ok sometimes, but if you screw up often enough, the audience will begin to tell.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
natethegreat2186
natethegreat2186
05/15/2002 9:22 pm
thx for the advise. i agree with ya. i'll try that this weekend at practice
Peace Out and God Bless
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/16/2002 2:03 am
Try just strumming while you mute the strings with your fretting hand. Mess about with it. Get as fancy as you dare. I can't pick single notes as fast and clean as a lot of the players on this site, but I can hold my own with anybody I've ever jammed with when it comes to working with the bass and drums to dial-in a solid groove. When you feel confident in your ability to define a song's rhythm with your stumming, the chord changes will drop into place for you. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/16/2002 8:24 am
When you try and think about it,that's when you screw up.
If you think I don't know what I'm talking about,do,say, three four beat measures with a different chord for each measure,like a I-IV-V or something.At a speed you're ok with the chord changes.Or as fast as you can go without screwing up.Now,for the same measures,instead of strumming,fingerpick them.Try a PIMAMI pattern.And try it at the same speed.You'll notice(or at least I noticed),the chord changes,which were previously a piece of cake,suddenly aren't from the baker.To overcome this,stop thinking about it when the changes are taking place.Just go ahead and change them.It just flows.
Bottom line:
Stop thinking.
# 5
natethegreat2186
natethegreat2186
05/16/2002 3:25 pm
thx for all the advise it really helps:)
Peace Out and God Bless
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.