Scales over which chords?

Slasha
Slasha
05/14/2002 9:15 pm
okay, i have tons of quiestions, so i'll just try and put them in one post!!

(1) lately ive been trying to play some fusion type jazz stuff.
say over a chord progression in Dmaj7, besides playing the Dmaj7 arpegio, what scale(s) could i play to give it a jazzy/rock type feeling.And, what scales do I play over:

min7, 7 chords, 9 chors, sus schords, etc?

(2) If I play an A Dorian over a G progression (And I kind of revolve around the G not the A in the Dorian) then will I get the exact same sound as a G Ionian?

(3) Lets say for example, we are playing just a C progression (no sharps or flats), could I improvise over it with A Ionian or B Ionian or C Ionian or D Ionian (etc...)?
since they are all contained in that key.

thanks!!

:cool: Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/15/2002 4:12 am

• Maj7 - ionian or lydian would give it a "fusion" sound.
  • Min7 - dorian or aeolian.
  • 7th - mixolydian/blues/minor pent
  • 9th - 9ths are usually transition chords, so you could play pretty much anything. It depends on the overall chord progression. Same thing for sus chords.

#2 Yes.

#3 You could, but it would sound like crap. C Ionian would work, but B and D Ionian have different key signatures.

# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
05/15/2002 8:42 pm
Well, if it's just a Dmaj7 chord, and it never changes, you could play D Ionian, D Lydian. If you want, you could even play D Minor Pentatonic, or throw in the b5. The Dmaj7 arpeggio comes from D Ionian or D Lydian. The Minor over Major sound is very bluesy, but can be made to sound jazzy if you switch in and out between major and minor. You could also try the A Bebop scale (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G, G#).
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.