View post (Suggestions for a long time player / newbie?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/12/2014 6:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Anders PetersenHello, I hope it's not against the rules to post this.
I have found this simple lesson to be very beneficial in learning the note names of the fretboard...

Oooo... that's a good one! Ok, that's it, I am going to include that in my daily practice routine and I'll let you know how it goes in a month or so.

A few things to mention/clarify...

-the part where he talks about octave patterns actually being detrimental to learning the fretboard, I agree. But I believe that the idea in "The Fretboard Workbook" is that the octave patterns are shown as a foundation for building scales. I could be wrong (I'll check in the book later) but I'm pretty sure Barrett teaches that you should learn the entire fretboard by heart, not by using the octave patterns to identify notes. That's just a way to get started, not an end solution to knowing the whole fretboard. So anyone working through the Fretboard Workbook who watches the video, don't let that put you off.

-at the end of the video, the guy talks about just knowing where the notes are..."how do you find G on the third string, I don't know, I just KNOW its here..." I think that is a critical point he's making. However you learn the fretboard, you just have to instinctively know where each note is without having to work out some rationalization in your head. He's right; that takes too long, the process has to be instantaneous.

I think Sebastberg has the fretboard down cold. I've been working on it lately myself. The exercise in the video look great. Thanks for posting!