View post (Suggestions for a long time player / newbie?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/24/2014 6:22 am
Originally Posted by: maggior
My comment was directed more toward guitartricks instrutors who chimed in on the thread, as well as anybody else that reads this thread. I've suggested (as has SlipinLizard) this book numerous times and I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

It's a great community here and with tons of great material to learn from.

Ditto. For anyone interested, or wondering what's up with this "Guitar Fretboard Workbook"... its not a text like "here's how to play guitar...". Its a very concise text, with written exercises aimed specifically at understanding the fretboard, and how to construct scales, triads, chords, etc... It covers the "CAGED" system, albeit in a different way... MIT/GIT updated from the CAGED system some years ago, to an octave based system that is arguably more streamlined.

Some people found the CAGED system confusing, (I was one of them). The octave system is a little more straight forward. But in the end, its exactly the same thing. I've even seen the 5 patterns written with slight variations, but it all makes sense because its all part and parcel to the same concepts.

I totally agree with the idea of supplementing your resources. I was a full member of Guitar Tricks for well over a year, and got a lot out of it. I still would refer to texts on some subjects, and even watch YouTube videos on others... why not utilize everything that's available to you? I guarantee that you'll get more out of the GT Fundamentals videos when you've just gone through the first couple of chapters in the book (which won't take you long... it gets more challenging further on).

On that note, I'll also mention to anyone that a great example of "cross-resourcing" or whatever you want to call it is studying modes... to understand modes, it helps to do a bit of everything... some reading and theory work on paper, watching some video explanations, learning how to play modes, and then applying them over a variety of backing tracks. So there's a little bit of everything in the mix... that's what is working for me at least!

So yes, we are recommending this book specifically to help you get more out GT, not as a substitute for the lessons that are offered.