Licks/Riffs from the users

mblaide
mblaide
01/07/2014 5:30 pm
Someone in another thread asked about having a lick of the day section. Then I thought what if we had a way for the users/subscribers to submit licks and riffs that they came up with??? I know there probably a lot of you guys that have stumbled upon a cool sounding lick while just noodling around. You could post it and let others play around with it. Maybe they improve it and post it.

Anyone like this idea?
How would we do it? Tab it out in a forum post? Link a file? or ??
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/07/2014 5:52 pm
Its a great idea. I'd suggest you come up with one, then just create a new thread in the listening post. I wouldn't worry about TAB so much.... that can be tricky. Instead, just a video would work well. I'd follow this format:

-show the lick, being used, in context (with a backing track) at full speed.

-play the lick on its own, full speed (with a metronome).

-play the lick on its own, half speed. (with a metronome).

-break it down (explain it, play it even slower if needed, go over any tricky bits).

-finish off by playing the lick twice through at half speed with a metronome, then twice again at full speed. The idea here is, the listener has got the mechanics of the lick down, now they are ready to try it at half speed. When they have that down, they can practice on their own until they are ready to try it full speed.
# 2
maggior
maggior
01/07/2014 6:59 pm
Yeah, this is a good idea. Posting a video though with that level of detail will probably prevent a lot of people from doing it. The breakdown you are talking about is very similar to what they use in the song lessons here. Especially for tricky sections, the playing-slowed-down-with-a-metronome is really helpful in just getting the notes under your fingers.

I think all of this with audio only would be useful.

Personally I think TAB would be useful too. Many times going through lessons here, I'll sometimes look to the TAB for clarification because sometimes it's hard to follow where the instructor is placing their fingers or which ones are being strummed.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.