Ha Ha! (signature late great SRV call)

BBMAC
BBMAC
01/03/2014 8:15 pm
This site is fantastic! Back in the day, I'm 51 now, 'learn't songs by ear, no one showed me quite how (I'm so hard done by). 'Always found, (and lost...a love that was true) and I still do, that the bridge of the tune was the toughest to do. I spun the vinyl, again and again, listened for pull-offs, hammerons, whole, whole and a half step bends. OK, that's enough rhyming...don't want to offend anyone...it's awesome to be a guitartricks member...you guys can actually really play and teach! Favorite musical era: last six-hundred years, nope, not a vampire (modern music...historically speaking...since the invention of the chromatic scale); song; millions of them but... Do Anything You Want To (don't believe a word), Dancing in The Moonlight...(Thin Lizzy...well...anything LIVE by Thin Lizzy (or Gary Moore), they sound too thin...don't have the energy...in the studio)...there's nothing more beautiful sounding than a rest beat(s) (whole band) then that first screaming bend from a Les Paul through a cranked Marshal, even though I have a Strat and a Hagstrom; Bell Bottom blues..."I don't wanna fade away..." not until I can play some wicked, bad-ass, smokin' hot guitar first...then I'll audition for the band in the sky...OK...I guess my favorite song is whatever I'm listening to right now...sort of a Zen (presence thing). Thanks dudes (ettes) at Guitartricks.
P.S. love the humour too..."guitar chicks"...that is very funny.
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
01/04/2014 12:25 am
"guitar chicks" was a total mistake, but funny :)

I started the same way, learning by ear, And SRV Pride and Joy was one of them! I think there's more to be gained by doing it that way. It gives you a chance to ear train and use your brain musically to "solve a puzzle", good brain exercise!

Glad to have you here, BBMAC
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
pattyb5
pattyb5
01/05/2014 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: BBMACThis site is fantastic! Back in the day, I'm 51 now, 'learn't songs by ear, no one showed me quite how (I'm so hard done by). 'Always found, (and lost...a love that was true) and I still do, that the bridge of the tune was the toughest to do. I spun the vinyl, again and again, listened for pull-offs and hammerons, whole, whole and a half step bends. OK, that's enough rhyming...don't want to offend anyone...it's awesome to be a guitartricks member...you guys (and gals...is that politically correct, I'm not sure these days...I'm a real old-timer) can actually really play! Cool, awesome, mind-blowing, freakin' eh! (I never meant to...) Favorite musical era: last six-hundred years (modern music); song; Bell-bottom blues..."I don't wanna fade away..." not until I can play some wicked, bad-ass, smokin' hot guitar first...then I'll audition for the band in the sky. Thanks dudes (ettes).
P.S. love the humour too..."guitar chicks"...that is very funny.

Yea, I hear ya man. I'm a bit younger than you but I started the same way. "kids" today have no idea how it was back in the day. If I would have a site like this (and other material/instruction of today), there is no telling how good I'd be. lol at least that is my story. I used to do the old rewind thing with cassettes. back and forth back and forth. I guess it was good training but it sure is nice to have video, tab, the ability to slow down, loops, backing tracks, etc. no excuses not to become a good player if you are willing to put in the time. IMO This site is great. the way that it presents the material/quality is better than other sites I've checked out. and there is a lot of good stuff out there.

Rock on!
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/05/2014 4:05 pm
Geez...doesn't anybody pick up and set down the needle any more? :D

"Kids today..." :D :D

Seriously -- all hail technology!
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.