Jpin109
12/07/2013 4:05 am
Good Video on practicing a new skill and becoming good at it in 20 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
12/07/2013 6:27 am
I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting it! :)
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/07/2013 5:50 pm
Well...that's fun! And a flashback.

CSU was the first college I attended. If I had put in 20 hours of study time maybe they wouldn't have invited me to dis-attend after my two years there. :D

This guy's message is pretty good, IMO. I really buy in to the concept that learning's barrier is an "emotional" one. But there's learning something and then there's [U]learning[/U] something. Sometimes my practice has exceeded 20 hours a week (good, efficient practice...he'd be proud) but my playing level still barely approaches intermediate. The 20 hours, we all know, is about learning about playing in theory, not achieving the technique or chops.

Which reminds me... When I returned to guitar I read writings that determined the number of hours it would take to become expert in something. Some of those writings addressed guitar specifically. And at that time the magic number was 3,000 hours. Three thousand hours of practice to become an expert guitar player. That was encouraging to me. I even figured out how long it would take based on my then weekly practice time. I figured it'd be a little over four years. :) But then the other figure started popping up. The total the guy in this video references...the 10,000 hours. That wasn't so encouraging. :(

I've not ever been truly convinced of the validity of either figure although I now know that, whatever the true hour total is, for me it's much closer to 10,000 than 3,000. But these days I'm trying to do the Zen thing...focus on the 'now' of the journey, not the end.

And let's face it, as long as you stay on the path of learning guitar, there is no end.

john

Thanks for the link, Jpin109
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

12/08/2013 1:41 am
That Was Enjoyable.thanks I Now Have A New Perspective...mods Here I Come,lol.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.