What Inspires you to write your song?

Leferia
Leferia
11/25/2013 7:30 pm
this thread is about what inspires you to get you to want to write your song? do you want to write your song because of how you feel toward something? or is it about your passion toward God? is it about your opinion over the government? is it about your view of the world? is it about your vision, your dream, your wish of what you want to come true?

tell us hear what drives you into wanting to write your song! :)
Leferia - returning to our child like roots. returning to we really are.
# 1
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
11/26/2013 9:24 am
Hi!

Great thread!

I found that i write the most professional and best lyrics when i write about an emotion i have inside of me or an experience i had.

When i write about emotions it's usually about my girlfriend and something that just happened or some specific feeling i have for her at the moment.

When i write about experience i write about for example my friend's dad who died in cancer.

God bless you! :)
-T
# 2
Kasperow
Kasperow
11/26/2013 9:39 pm
I actually think it's very hard for me to name exactly what inspires my songwriting. Mostly because it's a whole mess of things that are more or less unrelated and typically what inspires me one day doesn't inspire me as much the next. The things I state here are just how it usually goes.

For coming up with a cool riff or two, a 20-minute walk with the dog is usually more than enough to let at least 2 riffs that I like pop into my head. It's not some that I steal from other songs. they just come to me.

For lyrics, however... Difficult question. I usually have lots of trouble coming up with lyrics, whether horrible or awesome. Even writing the basic idea for a song down is hard for me, because I'm not used to expressing myself (the fact that I don't have, and honestly never have had, a significant other is only part of the explanation. The rest is my own demons to deal with).
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 3
compart1
compart1
11/27/2013 1:57 pm
Demons to Deal With..
What a good idea..
Song?
Album?
Band name?
All of the above?
Start with a very low and slow intro, then scream "I got my demons to deal with" That's the beginning for you.
Take it from there. Just remember me in your credits..
# 4
Kasperow
Kasperow
11/27/2013 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Demons to Deal With..
What a good idea..
Song?
Album?
Band name?
All of the above?
Start with a very low and slow intro, then scream "I got my demons to deal with" That's the beginning for you.

Except I'm not at all into screaming in music. I have, however, thought of trying to turn some of that into a song or two...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 5
JullesM
JullesM
11/30/2013 9:28 pm
Somehow an idea or a tune gets started. My best ones came in in a very short time. If I sit down to labor on them, they usually don't materialize. Have a bunch of ideas, and I am anxious to get to the lessons here on progressions. I haven't had much formal training. Hope my best songs are yet to come. Love this site. Learning much.
# 6
jlh32873
jlh32873
12/12/2013 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: compart1Demons to Deal With..
What a good idea..
Song?
Album?
Band name?
All of the above?

Its always your favorite sin that'll do you in.... : )
# 7
Danny McMartin
Danny McMartin
12/16/2013 9:05 pm
What inspires me to write a song could be categorized into two sections.

1) To debrief/vent/educated about an ā€œExperienceā€ Iā€™ve had.

2) Have an inbuilt desire to bring awareness of a topic (& hopefully change) by communicating something in a poetic way.
# 8

12/21/2013 3:52 am
i;ve got my demons to deal with,you deal with your own i been fighting this curse on my own.dont be afraid your not alone mine are worse as nobody would know ,face your fear or fear shall face you.
i know stupid im know song writer
# 9

12/22/2013 12:18 am
what inspires me wright,
emotions
good emotion,bad angry,ect.i think thats when u can wright at ur best,cause ur tellin a story u lived through,look at the brett michals wrote about him and his ex girlfriend,every rose has its thorn,yeah that song was a true story bout how his girl left him.listen too it carefully it may help you to arrange your own.good luck...what i do is i come up with a beat in my head if i like that beat ,i try and put some lyrics behind it,it could be a soft slow tempo beat,or times a fast aggressive beat doesnt matter,thats me though everyone is different.
# 10
Jekade
Full Access
Jekade
Full Access
01/19/2014 2:58 am
Many times for me it is just something that pops in my head all of a sudden and my mind starts to go crazy as I realize "Hey that's sounds like a song"... then I continue on. It is almost always the lyrics for me first. But then there are times when I hit a certain guitar riff that makes me stand back and say wow.
# 11
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2014 11:29 pm
I suppose for me it's always conceptual.

Lyrically I want to tell a specific story, or musically I really like to try and combine things together that might not traditionally fit.

Those two processes, these days, seem to work for me.
Douglas Showalter
# 12
Stephen Quinn
Stephen Quinn
02/13/2014 2:52 pm
Musically, I give myself a dedicated hour to record/write down ideas in the form of riffs, progressions, melodies, harmonies etc. I come back to this session after a while and start to build structures with the ideas I've already written.

Lyrically, I can be inspired by current events, either in my own life or in the world, or by a recent film/book I have read and write lyrics based either on subject matter or the messages that the film/book conveys.
# 13
naejalle
naejalle
02/17/2014 7:39 am
This thread gives me a lot of ideas on how to write a song .. I'm actually thinking to write a lyrics and at the same time putting the rhythm of the lyrics of the song that i used to do ..
# 14
Stephen Quinn
Stephen Quinn
02/19/2014 11:33 pm
Also, if I'm writing to rhyming patterns, I start with a pair of rhyming words and join them with words in between.
# 15
Diana de C
Diana de C
03/02/2014 11:01 am
I'm new, but I am fascinated by song-writing.
Sometimes I start with a phrase or an image, sometimes a fragment of melody comes first. Usually one bit comes easy, and then I need to labour over the rest. When I started out, I found it inhibiting to really be clear with myself as to what I was trying to create with a song; it was almost like I had to get it out without over-thinking. Now I try to make sure that in addition to enjoying the flow when it comes, I also own the intention behind the song.
# 16
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/08/2014 12:30 pm
You hear people say it's 'lyrics first' or 'music first' and I'm learning that with me, it's neither and both.

Right....what does that mean?

Everything that is a song I've worked up or in progress or in my head, the vocal melody and the music that comes with it sorta come the same way.

I've posted this phrase before but I was talking to my wife and she said how the bare autumn trees were, in their way, beautiful.

In my head, the phrase 'there's beauty in desolation, comfort in desperation' came right way but it came with a melody. The rest of what I am concocting just flows out from there (though in progress soooooo...)

I suppose that means lyrics come first but I think the flow of the words just suggests a melodic direction.

I have a small set of lyrics in my head this morning that is somewhat of a end of a chorus...Thing is, the words in my head have a definite melodic ring to them that I like but the actual words I think are kinda stupid...It came to me and I liked it but it was the flow of the words and not the words themselves. I will be finding a phrase that fits the vocal melody but with lyrics I can live with.

So, there's is my non-method....
# 17
Mark_Ramdular
Mark_Ramdular
03/12/2014 2:16 pm
Hi all,

Fiction novels usually drives my inspiration. I think it's the imagination and perspective authors have. What I also like that authors do often, is how they romanticize and dramatize normal bits and pieces of everyday life.
# 18
Removed by 165603 via wipe user button 2021-06-09
03/16/2014 7:45 pm
Being a ham radio operator Morse code was very easy for me.
When it comes to song writing I cannot sit down and write out a song.
But when I hear a song that sounds good to me,I can be driving down the road and just let that person sing.
I sort of block out the words and make up my own and I did that a few weeks ago and wrote a song for a Nurse.
I may get hung up on a few words that may not rhyme together but I just try words that have the same meaning and sound close.
My last song I wrote took about 20 minutes.
BOB

Former member of the 12:00 Oclock Skydiving Team

o

# 19
03/16/2014 8:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Torsten BorgHi!

Great thread!

I found that i write the most professional and best lyrics when i write about an emotion i have inside of me or an experience i had.

When i write about emotions it's usually about my girlfriend and something that just happened or some specific feeling i have for her at the moment.

When i write about experience i write about for example my friend's dad who died in cancer.

God bless you! :)
-T

I guess i'm sort of like Torsten Borg.
I write about the loss of my G/F and the nurses that took care of me and also I write songs about people I see that have no home,no family.
My Mom is in a nursing home and she really does not know who I am.
She loved the JD song Sun Shine on My Shoulders.
I can't play that the way is was done by professionals but I can sort of play it sloppy so I got my friend to back me up and we both played and I sung.
It was hard to hold the tears back when I saw her crying but I almost died 7 months ago and it's been some time since I saw her.
Nurses canot get to close to patients so they are always switching but one got close to me and everything worked out OK but last year a Drunk took her away from me.
I Tortured Myself writing songs about her.
Then another Nurse told me I have to let go but I hear songs she liked.
So for some like me it's rough.
I just try to go with the flow because some day will be my turn in the box.
BOB

Former member of the 12:00 Oclock Skydiving Team

o

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.