View post (Scalloping..)

View thread

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/11/2005 8:37 am
when I said uncommon, I didn't mean like 5/4... I just meant anything other then the common 4/4, which is used soooo often...

3/4, 12/8, 2/4, etc. is the kind of thing I meant

I'm taking beginner's theory classes right now, which I am only taking to improve my guitar playing, I have no intention of a music major anymore, because once you analyze music too much, it's no longer music, it's like a math problem or something... and I don't think you quite got my point when I said that there was more to music then theory. I mean sure, any song can be broken down to "ok, this song is in the key of C#m, it is in 4/4 time, it uses a so-and-so diminished chord here, and a so-and-so augmented chord here" but do you really think that that is what was going through the songwriter's mind when he was writing the song? he was probably trying to express out a thought or emotion, or perhaps just a general wondering. now sure, he may have used theory to write it (especially in classical music) but that doesn't mean that only people trained in music theory can appreciate the song, even a complete nimrod could understand an emotion of sadness, or anger, or happiness.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace