My pinky!

OneLovely
OneLovely
08/28/2013 11:45 pm
I have a tough time remembering to use my pinky. I think my fingers are stretched out and strong enough that it doesn't really hurt to use it or anything, just remembering to. For example, for perhaps two whole steps away I might resort to using my ring finger before using the pinky - is there any rule of thumb of when its best to use it? Anyone else do this? I don't want to play like I am missing a finger that I could use more - unless it's not used often? D:
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
08/29/2013 5:03 am
Alright, I'll give you my honest opinion and then hopefully I'll get dog-piled on by the purists. The corporate line is this:

"Your pinky is just another finger, no stronger or weaker than any other. You should be able to play using all four fingers without hesitation."

Turns out its wishful thinking. Your pinky is weak.... WEAK I tell you! Look at it, hiding out there at the end of you hand... its a wanna-be finger, the black-sheep of the finger family... the runt of the litter....

Seriously now though. Some very hard-working dexterous pro players can utilize their pinky so well it puts our hard working real fingers to shame. However, most players, be it lead, acoustic, folk, whatever will use their pinky only when the need arises. For chords, its often a necessity. You just have to practice the chord so well that it becomes a reflex. Your gets into position with the rest of your fingers without any extra effort. But for bends, hammer-ons, stuff like that, you'll see more often than not, even good players favor using their index, middle and ring fingers. Eric Clapton is a good example of a well known "three-finger player".

So moral of the story is demand and supply. If you need to use your pinky to get the sound you're after, do so and don't be surprised if its a bit of a chore at first. Otherwise, feel free to "cheat" and make it easy on yourself by using the fingers most comfortable; you'll play better, and sound better, and enjoy playing more.
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
08/29/2013 5:25 pm
I have always worked to use my pinky, just like a finger. Just like a 4 finger chord sound fuller than a 3 finger chord. A 4 fingered player will create a fuller over all sound. Maybe not so much for rock, but if you have an acoustic in your hands and are finger picking, a 3 fingered player will not compare.
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
08/30/2013 1:36 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Maybe not so much for rock, but if you have an acoustic in your hands and are finger picking, a 3 fingered player will not compare.

Completely agree... especially when you're adding/changing notes in a chord. For instance, playing a Dmaj chord, then adding your pinky to the third fret right above your middle finger, then lifting the pinky off, then the middle finger off the second fret (E is now open) add middle finger back to the 2nd fret, then pinky back to the third etc (hope I got that right, I don't have my guitar in front of me). The fingerpicking gives a nice flowing sound, and the pinky turns the static chord into a "run" or whatever you want to call it. Good example Haghj.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.