Shredding techinque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slasha
Slasha
05/03/2002 3:03 am
this is kind of wierd, like a month or so ago i could speed pick quite fast and change strings without losing beats.
And now all of a sudden, i can pick on a single string just as fast, but when swithing from one sting to the other (say D to G) i lose time and get behind beat.
So here's my question:

When shredding down the strings (from low E to high E) does your hand rest onthe bridge or float above the strings? And, if your hand does rest on the bridge, do you just keep your hand (or bottom part of your hand) in a spot without it moving when you change from low to higher strings, or does it move downwards with every higher string you pick?

If this doesnt make sense then tell me, and i will explain better!

:cool: Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 1
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/03/2002 3:48 pm
Have you had a pause in your training? For that's one reason which will certainly get your picking in not so good condition only in a while.

And for the second question, I know EXACTLY what you mean. Had the same problem about a year ago, then I started taking lessons from my new(est) guitar teacher and he told me (I was playing both ways, or a mix up, low strings E,A,D with my hand "floating" above them but the high strings resting my hand to the lower strings) that I might want to try to rest my right hand on the guitar body when I play low strings and make a slight move to rest on the lower strings when I play the high notes..

I hope that's any help. Play a lot of String skips and chromatics, those excercises will make you pick a lot better.
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 2
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2002 2:25 am
I find it very difficult to have the hand "floating"
above the strings. Because when you do that, you have to
move your whole arm back and forth. If you rest your hand
on the bridge its only the upper half of the hand that is
moving, and with less movement required, faster shredding.
# 3
Steve Lindsay
Steve Lindsay
05/10/2002 1:04 pm
I too rest the fingers of my right hand (ie those not holding the plectrum!) on the guitar body just below the strings. However when playing the lower (bass) strings I shift up slightly and my hand will rest on the higher (thinner) strings. As well as making it easier to pick it also adds an extra way of damping strings so that you reduce unwanted noise.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.