New Amp: Peavy ValveKing 112 Combo?

cardmnal
cardmnal
08/09/2013 6:28 pm
I am looking to upgrade my amp from a Fender Mustang 1. As a result I spent quite a bit of time in the local music shop yesterday, milking the owner and other employees for information and then eventually plugging my guitar into several (different amps, not employees.)

I think I have decided on the Peavy ValveKing 112 combo. Mostly, I will be using it for practice and hopefully jamming with friends so the 50 watts is plenty of power. I wanted to get away from the modeling amp and definitely was looking for an affordable tube amp. At the price ($399.99) if I grab a few pedals It seems I can do most everything I want it to. I was quickly able to dial right into several different sounds I was looking for.

So here are my questions: Anybody out there use this amp? If so, what are your thoughts on it. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Is there another amp in the price range I should be looking into?

BTW, I am mostly into playing blues and classic rock.

Thanks!
# 1
maggior
maggior
08/09/2013 7:19 pm
Hi -

I own this amp and I love it. I bought it at a local Guitar Center last January. I went into the store to try out a Line 6 modeling amp which cost the same amount of money. I was very unimpressed with the Line 6 amp. The sales person showed me the ValveKing and I was instantly blown away!! The sound was so much more lively and responsive.

With 50 watts, there is more than enough power. The sales person told me it's got enough power to gig with.

The "clean" channel is quite good. The lead channel can get good and distorted, especially if you engage the gain boost button. I haven't had a need to add any effects or pedals. Each channel has it's own set of tone controls, which is really nice. This thing can twang away with some nice clean tones or get down and dirty for some palm muted metal madness.

From what I've read, the weakest point in this amp is the speaker. I've read where people have replaced it with a Celestion 30 with good results. To my ear, the stock speaker is good enough.

The physical construction is very solid. Good thick wood, nice metal corner pieces, and nice solid feeling knobs and switches. The construction is much like the Peavey Special I had back in the 80's. This also means it's heavy.

Here is some good info on the amp:
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/home

As far as tube amps go, I don't think you'll find anything else of this caliber in this price range.

I'm not aware of any issues with this amp. I have read in some Amazon reviews where people have had issues with noise. I have not seen that, even with my strat which has single coil pickups.
# 2
cardmnal
cardmnal
08/21/2013 11:56 pm
Purchased it today, just wish I had the time to play. LOL!
# 3
maggior
maggior
08/23/2013 4:39 pm
Congrats!! Let us know what you think once you have time to play it.
# 4
bikerbob5108
Full Access
bikerbob5108
Full Access
08/25/2013 6:16 am
I have had the Valveking 112 for about a year I guess. I moved to that from a Vox VT50 AD/XL, which I liked very much. The Vox was a bet overwhelming for someone like me though. I had no knowledge of what the amplifier was modeling. When I played on the VK112, I enjoyed it very much. Get a pedal to use it it and you will enjoy I hope. Looking forward to what you think of the VK.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.