Gig Set Up

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/18/2013 2:05 pm
Friends:

This is a question for those of you who gig and how you do a set up to capture the best sound, tone, and effects. My question centers on how you configure your amp, but let me give a little background.

I play two guitars on stage, my PRS SE (electric) and my Breedlove (Acoustic). My acoustic goes to the DI box which feeds directly into the soundboard.

My PRS is connected to my pedals which are ordered as Boss tuner -> MXR '78 distortion -> Boss Metal Zone -> Big Muff Pi -> Boss Chorus -> to my amp.

My amp is a little fender superchamp XD. I mic the amp and that mic goes to the soundboard. I could just go out of the pedals and directly to the sound board, but I want to capture the crunch I get from the amp too.That is why I mic it.

OK, so here is my question. The pedals obviously give the tone and effects I want for certain songs. So, is it better for me to get the cleanest sound from the amp as possible and let the pedals do all the work?

Or, is there a reason I should have some gain or something coming from the amp in addition to the pedals.

For those who may not know, the superchamp is a small tube amp, and I really like it

Thank you for any responses and advice.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/20/2013 2:20 am
You should go with whichever method, or combination of methods, gives you the best sound you like for whatever you are playing.

The SuperChamp XD has 2 channels, correct? I use a two channel Traynor and use the pedals on both clean and drive channels, depending on what I'm playing. (I also happen to have a VibroChamp XD, and I am a super fan of both the 'Champ XD's :) )

Anyway, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I set my amp channels to be as I like them sans pedals (maybe a little less drive than if I wasn't using pedals). Then, I have a ton of tones from my toe tips hehe.

Once the amp channels are set up, drive on 5 or 6, I use for the most part, a compressor, which I find adds it's own drive, a TS808 at about 12:00 with a slightly boosted volume, and a PlexiDrive with drive at about 2:00 leveled with the amp. Plus the boost on the amp. Sometimes all at once :D

On stage or off. If it don't sound good, blame the sound guy ;)

p.s. Jammed with a really great guitar player before, he's one of those 'perfesionals' and he happens to use a SuperChamp XD for all his gigs. Just thought I'd mention that. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.