acustic guitar

raymee
raymee
06/08/2013 9:52 pm
Is there a way to play a song on caustic guitar in a way that people can understand what song your playing. It seems as if nobody understands what song is played unless I sing the song???
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/08/2013 10:27 pm
Originally Posted by: raymeeIs there a way to play a song on caustic guitar in a way that people can understand what song your playing. It seems as if nobody understands what song is played unless I sing the song???

Some rhythms, playing them 'as is' might leave the listener lacking enough auditory information to piece together the song. It also depends on what they key on for any particular song. Guitar players most often can recognize the rhythm of a song because, well, that's what we're listening for.

If you are or intend to become pretty advanced with a song, learn to play like this . Then you will really impress the friends and the family. ;)
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
06/10/2013 1:50 am
Jeff's example is a good one... I think its the answer you're looking for. If you play the rhythm guitar part for "Sweet Child O'Mine" on your acoustic, no one is really going to recognize it as you strum through those D and G chords. But, if you incorporate the melody line into your playing, then people would. But you're no longer playing the guitar part for "Sweet Child O'Mine", you're playing a hybrid part that incorporates the melody as well as the rhythm.
# 3
raymee
raymee
06/14/2013 9:32 pm
I understand your reply. Sounds difficult. I will give it a try. Sounds like a lot of finger picking.
# 4
Mike51
Mike51
06/15/2013 2:36 am
While certain songs lend themselves to acoustic guitar and some songs lend themselves to electric, they are the same instrument when it comes to the notes you play.

The operative words there are "you" and "play". Together "you play" and "you practice" and you pick the right songs and I guarantee that your friends will recognize the songs that you're playing.

From the time I picked up the guitar again (I had some training as a kid) my wife has been able to tell what song I've been playing, acoustic or electric. Even if and when I thought I sounded like a cat in a blender, the music (notes and rhythm) came through.

If you're friends can't recognize the famous opening riff to Sweet Home Alabama, or the simple chord progression of Good Riddance (Time of Your Life), which happens to be a great acoustic song for beginners, if they can't recognize those, then you need new friends. It really is that simple... lol

Keep banging away at it, you'll get it.

Mike
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.