3 Months In...

ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
05/29/2013 3:36 pm
So, I am 3 months into both GT and also guitar itself. This has turned into an addiction I think.

What I have accomplished:
* Completed Guitar Fundamentals I
* Half way thru Guitar Fundamentals II
* Started Rock Style 1
* Learned ways to hold the guitar/pick so pain is not a factor
* Learned the theory behind the notes, placements, chords
* Gotten smoother on transitioning between them without having to stop and look at the fret board.
* Upgraded amp already
* Learned power chords and realized I like them....alot.
* Learned that my dog on the other hand does not like said power chords...at all.
* Built a music room in my basement.
* Have had many jam sessions with my kids (trumpet, keyboard, and flute)

Have had a blast doing all above and want to thank GT for it because this site is the reason for it.

What I want to accomplish in the next 3 months:
* Finish Guitar Fundamentals II
* Progress thru Rock Style I
* Get smoother on transitions
* Memorize more of the higher octave chords/notes
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
05/29/2013 7:04 pm
Hi ThorfinnFrisken,

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! I like the jam room in the basement.
I think I had the same reaction to power chords, but I didn't have a dog at the time.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/29/2013 7:45 pm
This is great! And good to know that dogs don't like power chords ;)
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
Nemo Nemo
Nemo Nemo
05/29/2013 11:31 pm
Hello to all. Didn't think much about it, but now I have to. Pinched nerve between the 5&6 in my neck. This causes my right thumb and index finger to be 90% numb. Can't hold a pick for more than 20 seconds of strumming. It's very disappointing, just when I'm getting into a tune I realize my pick is either turned around or completely missing from my fingers! Any suggestions will be tried...
# 4
JJ90
JJ90
05/30/2013 11:52 am
My dog was terrified the first time I played my guitar. It pressed its snout against my strumming hand just to make the "horror" stop. But after a while he didn't even bother anymore. Perhaps he first thought that it was some kind of torture machine but now he is totally relaxed when I play guitar around him.

He's even immune to power chords, so maybe if you keep at it he will get used to it (MAYBE, because I'm not a dog expert lol).

Anyway congratulations on achieving this much. Learning guitar keeps being addictive if you always have the right new stuff to learn, no matter what level guitar player you are.

JJ
# 5
SuperCorsair
SuperCorsair
05/30/2013 6:35 pm
@Nemo Try supergluing the pick to your fingers. That should do it.
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/30/2013 7:53 pm
Hey JJ90!

Apparently, I've made improvements too! My dog now sometimes lies down nearby while I'm practicing although he casts a wary look at the amp once in a while. My music doesn't have the same love from the cat...who comes into the room and pukes now and then... :eek:
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/30/2013 8:04 pm
Originally Posted by: JJ90My dog was terrified the first time I played my guitar. It pressed its snout against my strumming hand just to make the "horror" stop. But after a while he didn't even bother anymore. Perhaps he first thought that it was some kind of torture machine but now he is totally relaxed when I play guitar around him.

He's even immune to power chords, so maybe if you keep at it he will get used to it (MAYBE, because I'm not a dog expert lol).

Anyway congratulations on achieving this much. Learning guitar keeps being addictive if you always have the right new stuff to learn, no matter what level guitar player you are.

JJ

Funny. In the beginning, when I first started playing guitar, one of my dogs would run away to a "safe place", while the other would bark at my amp, in hopes that the noises would stop. He even once ripped the extender cord out of the power outlet while I was playing. Now they both seem to find it just as nice and relaxing as I do when I play, even with heavy distortion which would previously make them panic. So I suppose that all dogs are scared of guitars until they learn what it is... I would never give up either my dogs or guitars, though. As it would happen, I get some of the most massive bursts of motivation and inspiration I've ever had while I'm taking them for long walks (quite annoying, actually since I don't have a guitar nearby at those times).

To ThorfinnFrisken, congrats on the massive amount of progress. I think in the half year I've been using GT, I've accomplished about the same, except for the music room in basement part. But I have considered building myself a complete stage when I get the economy to move to a location that allows for such. It would most likely do wonders for my motivation (then again, simply standing on some cargo-pallets makes my motivation sky-rocket, thanks to the power of imagination). I need the extra space anyway.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/30/2013 11:47 pm
Being more serious than my last post above...

I had a conversation with my vet about my dog's sensitivity to loud and/or sharp noises. While fear/timidity is a common emotion in reaction to such sounds the vet pointed out a different issue: given a canine's sensitive hearing it's possible harsh noises do more than cause fear, they might cause pain.

Always give a pup an escape route from bothersome sounds...
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/31/2013 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTBeing more serious than my last post above...

I had a conversation with my vet about my dog's sensitivity to loud and/or sharp noises. While fear/timidity is a common emotion in reaction to such sounds the vet pointed out a different issue: given a canine's sensitive hearing it's possible harsh noises do more than cause fear, they might cause pain.

Always give a pup an escape route from bothersome sounds...

Indeed. It's not nice to let a dog feel pain because its owner wants to play music. These days, I've been mostly practicing with my headphones plugged into my amp, to avoid upsetting the dogs. And to avoid complaints from the neighbors. But mostly for the dogs.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 10
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
06/03/2013 4:01 pm
Yeah. Now when I put the guitar strap on he gets up and goes to the other room. He knows now when to leave.

Been a great few months. Makes me excited for the next few months to come.
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 11
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
06/11/2013 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTHey JJ90!

Apparently, I've made improvements too! My dog now sometimes lies down nearby while I'm practicing although he casts a wary look at the amp once in a while. My music doesn't have the same love from the cat...who comes into the room and pukes now and then... :eek:

LOL nice about your cat. My cat also doesn't like when I practice any instrument.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.