Charlie Hunter

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/28/2002 2:40 am
Anybody else had the privledge of seeing this disgustingly good musician live? Or even heard his stuff for that matter?

Even if you're not too into Jazz, check him out.

LIVE mp3s from [u]his[/u] website:
http://www.charliehunter.com/audio/index.htm

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/29/2002 6:15 pm
Is that the guy that plays an Eight string guitar? (Or used to if nothing else)...I picked up one of me brother's guitar magazines from '94 and there was an article on a Charlie Hunter, who played jazz and wierd jazzy sort of things...is it the same guy?...

Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/29/2002 10:44 pm
Yup, he absolutely rules live.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
04/30/2002 5:03 pm
yeah man......I wanna get me one of those 8 string babies, unfotunately the cheapest one I found was about $3500. Plus You need to build a crossover system into your rig so that the highs get sent into the guitar cab and the lows get sent into the bass cab......someday!
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/30/2002 6:47 pm
Any suggestions for songs I should have a look for? I wanna hear his version of "Come As You Are" but can't get it (yet, will look harder sooner...) What are some of his most popular songs and your personal favorites?...Cheers!
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/30/2002 11:59 pm
Now, here's something funny about the guy, guess who was his guitar teacher??? Well, Joe Satriani!! It's amazing, that guy has taught so many successful players!
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/01/2002 1:30 am
His version of Come As You Are is my favorite cover of that song. It's actually the only Nirvana cover I think is worth listening to. He throws you for a loop though; if you aren't looking at the track name while it's playing you'll think it's something else first.

Also check out No Woman, No Cry and Them Belly Full (from his cover of Natty Dread), Greasy Granny, Fist Full of Haggis, anything off of Ready... Set... Shango!, Elbo Room is a cool tune as well. I downloaded Chope's Badass Groove from his site, and it was WELL worth the 20+ meg download. Now, I don't own any of these on CD (so my titles may be off), but when I saw him live Freak Fest and 20th Congress were really big standouts. He also played a mellow song that I wish I knew the title off. That one featured some two hand tapping WHILE holding down the bass groove.

Absolutely friggin' sick.

As for a crossover - his guitars have seperate bass and guitar pickups, controls, and outputs. He just plugs the bass part directly into a bass amp, and the guitar into his pedal board, then to his guitar amp.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/04/2002 8:26 am
I can't yet find a copy of "Come As You Are" (although I am working on it!!!) And my attempts to download other songs haven't been overly successful, however, I shall plod ever onwards and keep trying. I'll let you know when I get some of his stuff, from what I can gather, it's going to be something I like, (which is always a good thing persoanlly!)
Cheers guys, cya around.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.