Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

ly2sing
ly2sing
05/15/2013 3:10 pm
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] In terms of skills, what would be the difference between a beginner and intermediate player? What is the difference between an intermediate and advanced player? In other words, what skills should I have mastered to be considered an intermediate player? What skills should I have mastered to be considered an advanced player? ♪•*¨*•.¸¸.•*¨*•
[/FONT]

# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/15/2013 6:02 pm
Here's a simple answer before the dog-pile-of-public-opinion kicks in:

Beginner = learning to play

Intermediate = plays well

Advanced = plays flawlessly

Of course, difficulty level is part of it, but not all of it. For example, a beginner trying to play "House of the Rising Sun" will struggle just to make the chords sound cleanly. An intermediate will make the chords sound cleanly, and stay in time. An advanced player will make the chords sound cleanly, stay in time, and also likely add embellishments and subtle variations to their strumming and picking, all played flawlessly. Contrary to popular belief, it has a lot more to do with how you play than what you play. Someone can think they are an advanced player, because they know all their scale modes and a whole bunch of sequences, along with a ton of chords. However, if they can't keep time, or their playing is very stoic and predictable, without any style or flavor, then they really are not going to be considered "advanced". David Gilmour plays solos that are not that complicated in terms of the notes or speed of which he plays. However, very few people can nail the style that he has developed over his many years of playing. Same with BB King.

To consider yourself "advanced", you'll want to be able to play something just the way you hear it in your head, and play it flawlessly. When you have taken an idea as far as you can creatively, and can play it to perfection, then that is "advanced" playing. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but I've seen so many "advanced" guitar players who have all this knowledge, but they can't play worth beans. Its a bit like diving. The difficulty level doesn't mean anything if you end with a belly-flop!
# 2
Carmine M
Carmine M
05/15/2013 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI know a lot of people will disagree with that!

Not me
Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 3
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
05/15/2013 10:12 pm
Yup, Slipin Lizard said it all.
# 4
JJ90
JJ90
05/15/2013 11:04 pm
Slipin Lizard, you said it all! Great explanation (gonna use it whenever someone asks me this lol). I agree with everything you have to say.

JJ
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/16/2013 1:54 am
In all, I would agree with Slipin too. Explains it pretty well.

I would add that when you get to a certain level of skill you start to diverge in to subcatagories.

So I would add:

-Advanced - High technical ability to include finesse but focused on physical prowess on the instrument like Frank Gambale (or any number of Jazz guys), metal shred guys etc.

-Accomplished - This falls in to a bit of what Slipin was saying. I would not call David Gilmour advanced but he is very accomplished.

Then again, we could go all day breakin' it down this way ;)
# 6
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/16/2013 4:49 am
I agree with Slipin Lizard, based on my personal experience learning another instrument.
The accidental guitarist.
# 7
ly2sing
ly2sing
05/16/2013 8:50 pm
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] Thank you Slippin Lizard. Makes sense. ♪•*¨*•.¸¸.•*¨*•
[/FONT]

# 8
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/17/2013 4:26 am
Glad it helped... and Jeff is right, it can be a very deep subject and people will have their own definitions of skill level. My answer was more for the average person, and I think its really relevant to you. I listened to your songs posted in the Listening Post thread... you have a really nice singing voice. I think you should not worry about how people will perceive your skill level, but instead focus on coming up with guitar parts that you're happy with, and then, as I said before, make sure you can play them perfectly and with minimal effort. That way when you perform live you're not stressing about getting the guitar part right... it all just flows. Don't be afraid to be that singer/songwriter and work with other musicians & guitar players who can help you get to where you want to be with your music. Collaboration can be a wonderful experience!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.