View post (Is instrumental guitar a viable genre?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/26/2013 4:03 am
Originally Posted by: RandyEllefson
Spinal Tap? Can you be specific because that blows my mind and I honestly have no idea what you mean.

Some of the lyrics were just a bit basic... just a little, and I mean just a little, corny... they just aren't quite as heart-felt as I think you might want them to be. You are an intelligent guy... in your music, don't "think" what you want to say... just say it, with complete utter honesty. Ever hear that song by
"Dope" DMF?... I mean, you can't fault that guy for being direct, right? But that raw-in-your-face honesty is really the appeal of that tune. "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold would be another example... a guy singing about his dead friend, both angry & sad at the same time. Then on the other end of the spectrum would be Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors"... here's a ho-hum band where close friends & lovers are about to say goodbye to each other, maybe for the rest of their lives... and they laid it to bare on the album, which of course was a huge hit. I think you just need to be a little less superficial, perhaps, take a bit more of a risk with the lyrics. But that is just me.

As for the rest, I don't think you're dismissing the feedback I gave, in fact I think you're taking it really well. My point was only that you may be over-looking the creative aspect of your music, and yet, really, its ok just to say "nope, I'm super happy with what I've done and wouldn't change a thing". I think you are searching for something though... for me, listening to your music, its like there's something not quite there, not quite completing the picture... I can't say what it is, its just that spark that would get people sharing your music and making it a YouTube hit is missing... I wish I could nail it down better for you. But, I really think you should keep working it... there's definitely lots of potential. And again, with all of this, if you're satisfied that's all that matters... if you're not, then go after it... write & record something that you can show people that just feels totally YOU, so that when people listen to it, you really don't care what they think. Not in a bad way, you're just so completely satisfied with it that if they enjoy it, great, and if not, oh well, you couldn't have done it any differently. As a song writer, that's usually when you get the best results.

Good luck and keep us posted.