View post (Is instrumental guitar a viable genre?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/25/2013 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: RandyEllefsonI wasn't making a comparison. Wow. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to gauge where you view your own music. The implication from what you have written in your blog and in this thread is its not your music that's holding you back....

[QUOTE=RandyEllefson]I don't think lack of melody is my issue based on the comments I usually get (from strangers, not dear old mom), though everyone's got an opinion. I didn't like that Satch song at all, for example.

I think the elephant in the room here Randy is that at least with the song you linked to in your blog, (The Key) is that it IS the music... you're playing is great technically, but I don't think its nearly as melodic or catchy as you think it is. Sorry, I'm not trying to be harsh, but to just off-handley dismiss Satriani.. it wasn't so much about "do you like this tune?" as it was to show you an example of strong melodic soloing by a highly skilled guitar player. Its hard to address this kind of thing without people getting all offended... but at the end of the day, you're still left right back where you started if you're not open to feedback.

I think its odd that your own music seems to have suffered from the very same problems that you were outlining in your blog. You've mentioned several times that you write really catchy riffs... I found actually there was nothing all that catchy in your instrumental music... don't get me wrong, your technique is super solid. But there was nothing memorable about your playing... honestly, it just sounds pretty much like the speed-lick based stuff that you can find thousands of examples of on YouTube. I was able to hum the Satriani tune right after I heard it. Yours, I couldn't remember one melody or musical theme. There was one section where you went into a finger-tapping sequence, and again, being direct, I just thought it was self-indulgent... really just a sequence based section that to me felt like it was put in there to show your technical skill.

Again, I'm not saying this to attack or anger you.. I just think you're doing all the right stuff... good, clear website, well-recorded songs, solid technique but that you may be guilty of hubris in that you're over-looking the possibility that your instrumental playing maybe isn't all that unique or memorable. Doesn't mean you can't succeed, but I think you may be just assuming that is really strong creatively when maybe that's exactly the area you need to be focusing on.

I thought your band demos were much better... the guitar playing seemed a lot more inspired. Lyrics, honestly, really need work... there's just a bit of "Spinal Tapness" to them that you're going to need to lose if you want to be taken seriously. But the production was really good.

Sorry if any of this bothers you... but you're posting & writing as if to say "it can't possibly be the music, so why am I not a success??" when I think its actually the music that needs the attention... again, technique = totally solid... creative ideas = could really expand & improve.

I realize at the end of the day its easy just to say "everyone has their opinion" but if you feel that way, why worry at all? Just create music, have fun with it, post on YouTube and be done with it... if it catches on, great, if not, who cares? As long as you're happy with it, then that's all that really matters.