View post (Is instrumental guitar a viable genre?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
05/22/2013 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: RandyEllefsonHow do you guys account for guys like Rusty Cooley getting so much attention? That was part of what I meant in the blog. I see guys like that getting talked about a lot and I don't understand why. It just seems like nothing but fast stuff to me. We all seem to be agreeing that doesn't work, and yet it does to an extent.

There is always room for stunt-guitar playing. Take Michael Angelo (Batio). Especially in the 80's. It was a very well executed, well practiced trick.

In the past, I knew Michael reasonably well and talked about this stuff a few times and honestly, he didn't see it much differently than I said above. That it was kind of a trick.

I mean, he loved technical playing but not for the sake of only being technical but for a song as it fits. That's what he wanted to do but not always what he was able to do...

The point is, there will always be people that like that. Guitar players are competitive.

I've told the joke here a couple of time but -
Q: How many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb.
A: 10. One to screw it in and nine to say they can do it better and faster.

Speedy playing attracts people. It just does. However, it limits an audience too. Rusty Cooley has an audience among those who dig technical playing. Paul Gilbert had a career.