View post (Is instrumental guitar a viable genre?)

View thread

Stringybark
Stringybark
05/22/2013 12:24 am
Originally Posted by: RandyEllefsonI hear what you're saying and agree. But at the risk of sound conceited, I feel like I write very catchy, musical stuff but haven't gotten anywhere really, aside from a few endorsements.

How do you guys account for guys like Rusty Cooley getting so much attention? That was part of what I meant in the blog. I see guys like that getting talked about a lot and I don't understand why. It just seems like nothing but fast stuff to me. We all seem to be agreeing that doesn't work, and yet it does to an extent.

Maybe those guys do a lot of self-promotion? They go out there and talk to those who can put them into the public eye?

Do some analysis on those guys that get talked about a lot.
Where are the being talked about? How could they have achieved that? By knocking on those doors first?

Very few people are 'discovered' by others and then talked about. It is often as a result of doing lots of self-promotion that starts giving you the limelight.

Furthermore, just because you think you have a catchy tune, that doesn't mean that the public out there agrees with you.

Ask any artist and they will usually say that the public loves that particular piece of music or painting or sculpture, but the artist him or herself very often thinks that those adored creations are not at all his or her favourites.

The ultimate judge is not you, but those who buy your music ( or painting, sculpture etc.)
The accidental guitarist.