Pedal Box

Peterz
Peterz
05/12/2013 3:15 am
I have recently purchased a Pedal Box(Boss BCB6) containing the following units
Parameters, Chorus, Overdrive, Compression Sustainer,Superphaser.
It has been hooked up to my Fender Superchamp x2 amp which I am trying to play using my Fender Stratcaster. The sound that I get is too complex.
Does anyone have an approach as to how to go about separating sounds using the controls to get simple sound first and then add on other sounds? I want to turn off all other extraneous controls and gradually start building. Any ideas?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2013 4:21 pm
It's always hard to build a tone when you're adding that many pedals at once. I would suggest start with just one pedal at a time.

First, find a clean tone that you like without any pedals. Just guitar and amp settings.

Add the Overdrive. Dial that pedal in so that you get the Overdrive sound that you want. Make sure that you dial it in so that you get a nice difference in tone between your clean sound and the overdrive but not a HUGE difference in volume. You should notice a little bit of a jump in output but not a huge difference.

Next add the compressor. You can run this pedal always on or you can run it only on when you want to have your tone really tighten up. I would suggest using it as a boost pedal to tighten up your tone and make your overdrive scream... So, turn your overdrive pedal on and dial in your compression to get a decent sound that you like. Once again, switch it on and off and make sure there isn't a huge difference in output... you just want the tone to change.

The chorus and phaser are pedals that people argue with over and over about where they should be in a pedal chain. Do you phase the chorus? Do you chorus the phaser? It's up to you. Repeat the steps as stated in the previous couple paragraphs and find the tone you're looking for for each...

I'm not sure what the Parameters pedal is.... So I can't hint to how to set that one up. Chances are it should be the last thing in your chain before your amp.

I'd probably chain it something like this:
Guitar > Overdrive > Compression > (Phase <> Chorus) > Parameters

You can put the compession at the end as well... I don't like compressing Chorus/Reverb type effects though.

All in all... treat them like building blocks. You might find that certain pedals don't work well with other pedals as well.
# 2
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
05/25/2013 6:24 am
This is a great discussion that I was looking for. I will tell you my small experience but really I need more info, and this is a difficult area to understand.

I bought 2 "pedals" a Zoom A2 for my acoustic and a Zoom G2 for my electric. The A2 was a 100% success and a total asset. The G2 I am not so sure, maybe my ignorance on this effects area is keeping me from getting dialed in like I want.

The G2 has 40 presets and 40 identical preset channels that can be overwritten and altered. It is a digital processor, so tube amp guys will throw the BS flag right away as class A amplifier purists. However, at my age I cannot hear any digital artifacts (sampled at 96K) so in theory, it's ok by me. My ignorance is how to set the different areas up. You don't need a compressor, it has that stage built in...and a reverb stage, and a flange, and other effects, all in order, all with stage gains or pads, I just get lost on how to get it where I want it to be so maybe there's simply too much in one box, I don't know.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/25/2013 12:39 pm
Originally Posted by: GreggRich1I bought 2 "pedals" a Zoom A2 for my acoustic and a Zoom G2 for my electric. The A2 was a 100% success and a total asset. The G2 I am not so sure, maybe my ignorance on this effects area is keeping me from getting dialed in like I want.

Hey, I was looking at the Zoom A2.1U. The USB/Wah pedal version. Mostly for recording. I can't get a true sense of how good it sounds. I mean, does the Dobro really sound 'Dobro'y'?

Did know if it was just a really good live pre-amo or if it really renders well, the acoustic sounds it says it has.
# 4
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
05/25/2013 11:05 pm
Well Jeff, all things being relative, I would bet you wouldn't think it sounded like a Dobro if you were playing a Dobro next to it. Also, the recording aspect is a good question, and one I never thought of. I can tell you for sure, that you can really sweeten your guitar through one; I mean a LOT. However, I never tried to just go for a "modelling" transition...meaning I just dialed it up until I really liked the way MY guitar sounded. I went through the basic choices until I found a few that were close, then I altered them from there until I got just the sound I was looking for. In that respect, it gave me the nicest sounding acoustic guitar on the planet. The electric box though (G2) I didn't find that easy to get where I was trying to go.
# 5
PATRICK98
PATRICK98
06/04/2013 8:07 pm
What I have found in regards to stomp boxes and multi-effects units are, for the beginner the multi-effects units are great in that you can make a variety of sounds and noises. This usually will help the beginner maintain an interest in the instrument. Plus, with these units you get quite a bit of bang for the buck. Down the road what I found, is that as greater technical capability develops in the player the less need for all the different sounds. Less becomes more, as the artist realizes that they do not require all these devices in between the guitar and the amp. The real music is garnered from their hands, their touch and feel.
# 6
whiteshadow1861
whiteshadow1861
07/19/2013 7:38 pm
ive been wondering the same thing with my applause .. I have a small honey practice amp like to higher any sujestions?
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.