What scale is this solo played in?

caponi14
caponi14
04/29/2013 3:06 pm
Hey guys, i just wonna ask what scale this solo is in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfMkQQl6q4o

It sounds like it's mixing Major and Minor pentatonics with some notes added. Does anyone know the precise scale?

First solo is at 1:45 to 2:10 what scale and key is it in?

Second solo is at 3:05 to 3:36 what scale and key is it in?

Thanks guys
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
04/29/2013 5:58 pm
The song is in A minor. He's soloing in both solos with A minor and there's also some classic minor pentatonic licks too. Sometimes he's got some chromatic stuff going on like around 1:58 wich seems to be a feature that keeps coming back in the song (solos, rhythm and bass). Like the bass around 20 sec.

Personally I would improvise over with A minor, sometimes adding some minor pentatonic licks that I can play fast and add some ascending or descending chromatic notes when it feels right (going to the next chord is often a good place to add chromatic walk down/up notes).
# 2
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/30/2013 2:42 am
Spot on with the key sig n scales. Fun song. Glad I read the thread.
# 3
caponi14
caponi14
04/30/2013 10:16 am
It's pretty cool song yeah, thanks for the reply, i will try that :)

But theres is some A major pentatonics in there aswell aint there? (F# minor pentatonic)

Do you mean chromatic notes, for the last bar of the chord you are on, going in to the next chord?
Or the first bar of the next chord?
# 4
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/30/2013 8:16 pm
Hey... I actually sat down and figured out all the solos you asked note for note and in different places on the neck... would you like a tab?
# 5
caponi14
caponi14
04/30/2013 8:27 pm
Yeah, that would be cool man.

If you can give a description of the solo scales also, i would be thrilled. What Slash seems to be so good at is mixing the minor and major pentatonics. Id like to learn that trick!

[email]Caponi14@hotmail.com[/email] is my email :)
# 6
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/01/2013 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14 What Slash seems to be so good at is mixing the minor and major pentatonics.

I think Sebastien has it right... while I know what you mean about mixing scales, from what I've read about Slash and his background, I'm betting that its something he does mainly by instinct... there's points in the solo where notes just "feel right", and he may be using them without concerning himself much with the theory behind it. There's no magic formula out there that says "use this scale in a solo and it will always sound good". A lot of it just comes down to the players gut reaction to the music, drawing from an arsenal of licks cultivated by listening to other artist's music and figuring out the guitar parts. Over many years of doing this, a player may develop an instinct as to what notes will work when & where.

Think of pool players... its all physics and geometry, but you don't see good pool players taking measurements and working out equations on their calculators.. they take the shot, using their instincts which have been built up over the years.

We could look at the opening riff of "Sweet Child O'Mine" and start by breaking down the bass line, and the following chords & drums, and then say "ah, the notes used for the riff are a very logical choice with those parts considered..." But that's not how Slash wrote that part. Apparently, he was just screwing around with that riff during a rehearsal, making silly faces because he thought it sounded kind of funny... but the band latched on to it, and a song was born.

I'll bet Slash knows his scales, but I'll also bet that he "hears" much of what he plays in his head before he plays it. I think some of his playing is more tying together riffs that he has picked up over the many years of playing guitar, and he just has the knack for feeling where those riffs are going to fit in.
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
05/01/2013 10:30 am
Yeah, i think your right Slip.. Totally!

But yeah, you know how it is... You just want it for yourself so bad that you are willing to do everything to reach it. Sometimes you just don't know how to :confused:

Frustrating beyond...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.