G'day from Australia!

Stringybark
Stringybark
04/21/2013 4:33 am
Hi everyone,
I am just starting out with the guitar. In fact, I'm so new, I don't even have a guitar yet :D

I thought I'd first figure out the learning resources online before purchasing a guitar. I like what I see here, so next step: what guitar to choose? I know it will be electric and I will want to play jazz/blues/bluegrass type of music.

Any suggestions as to what guitar to choose? I don't want cheap and nasty that will kill my enjoyment of learning. I am looking for a good quality workhorse that I will not want sell because it's rubbish.
The accidental guitarist.
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/22/2013 6:52 pm
Welcome, Stringy! There are so many good beginner guitars to choose from, it often depends on what your price range is. That said, this is great topic to bring up in our Gear Discussion forum too.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
04/23/2013 12:13 am
wow, that IS new! You've definitely got your priorities in order. And it's so much better to learn on a quality guitar than a cheap one.

Classic choices for blues and jazz are Gibson semi-hollow bodies like the ES 335 and 175. These would work well for bluegrass too since the tone is mostly clean an these guitars both have a sweet clean tone. There are other companies that make a semi-hollowbody style guitar but I'm not well versed enough to give you a recommendation.

The Fender Telecaster is a top choice for country or bluegrass and blues but not so much for jazz because it has a thinner, bright tone. Blues and jazz guitar sounds best with a deeper, thick tone.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 3
Stringybark
Stringybark
04/23/2013 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminWelcome, Stringy! There are so many good beginner guitars to choose from, it often depends on what your price range is. That said, this is great topic to bring up in our Gear Discussion forum too.

I'll bring it up in the gear forum as soon as I've got a few choices sorted out and before I spend any money.
# 4
Stringybark
Stringybark
04/23/2013 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: Neal Walterwow, that IS new! You've definitely got your priorities in order. And it's so much better to learn on a quality guitar than a cheap one.

Classic choices for blues and jazz are Gibson semi-hollow bodies like the ES 335 and 175. These would work well for bluegrass too since the tone is mostly clean an these guitars both have a sweet clean tone. There are other companies that make a semi-hollowbody style guitar but I'm not well versed enough to give you a recommendation.

The Fender Telecaster is a top choice for country or bluegrass and blues but not so much for jazz because it has a thinner, bright tone. Blues and jazz guitar sounds best with a deeper, thick tone.

Thanks, Neal. I'm having my eye on a Fender Telecaster at the moment since I'd probably be leaning more toward blues and bluegrass and the prices for the Telecaster are pretty appealing. It sounds like an all-rounder for my interests.

Will explore more deeply on the forum.
# 5
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
04/24/2013 8:39 pm
Yeah, Teles are pretty tough, comfortable and good sounding! Happy hunting :cool:
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.