Great Books

Shostakovich
Shostakovich
03/04/2013 1:56 am
While guitartricks.com is an excellent source of knowledge I still have from pre-internet days and still use a number of great tutorial books. It is unlikely that guitartricks.com is going to be someone’s ONLY source of knowledge so I thought I would share my views on some of these books; and hopefully get some likewise responses on other books people have found useful.

THE GUITAR HANDBOOK Ralph Denyer ISBN 033032750X

I have the 1982 version of this book and it was published in the days when learning any instrument meant that you would be put in front of notation told to learn EGBDF/FACE “…and this is a C Scale…” Not exactly the stuff to inspire a young kid however earnestly correct it may be.

It is however the only book I have found that has a comprehensive’ all-things-guitar’ approach covering theory, playing styles, people and equipment. That is also its shortcoming though; as what it provides in breadth it lacks in depth. For example subjects such as modes, circle of fifths, time signatures, scales and modes tend to be only given 2 – 4 pages each, sharing the pages with illustrations and diagrams. These can be pretty abstract subjects often requiring whole books in themselves to be fully understood. It is no surprise to me now that I didn’t understand them based on the simplest of introduction in this text.

Just looking at the contents provides a great ‘skeleton’ of what you need to do – I have not found this in any other book – it just needs more meat, probably making the book nearer to an unmanageable1000 pages; but it would be great if they did it none the less.

FRETBOARD ROADMAPS: THE ESSENTIAL GUITAR PATTERNS ALL THE PROS KNOW AND USE
Fred Sokolow ISBN 0793520886

Shapes, patterns, images, visual-logic are all things those of us who do not want to sit in front of a piece of notation but who want spontaneity, use to master our instrument. Sokolow recognises this and has produced a series of books illustrating those patterns. This is not a big book but it covers – and provides patterns - for some critical areas such as D-A-F, circle of fifths, I-IV-V and moveable major scales. Some are not really presented in any way different from normal tutorials but there is a simplicity and ease (without dumbing down) that goes through this book that is appealing.

Probably at a beginner level. If only this book had been around when I was learning it would have saved a lot of grief.

SCALE CHORD RELATIONSHIPS Michael Mueller & Jeff Schrodel ISBN 0634019945

Getting a bit more serious here – again, like ‘Roadmaps’ this is not a big book at only 40 pages but it has some great insight. It takes the reader through identifying the key when you only have a few chords and which scales are appropriate and why; in major, minor (natural, melodic and harmonic), modal harmony, blues and so on.

An accompanying CD with just under 50 tracks enables you to practice what you have just learned.

An excellent book that very concisely provides clarity and simplicity to a confused area.

MODES FOR GUITAR Tom Kolb ISBN 0634018779

AAaaaaargh Modes! I came to this book knowing something of modes but I wanted to know more and I certainly do now. Kolb goes through each of the modes and the five fingerings per mode. There is also an accompanying 68 track CD where there are example licks also transcribed in the book and play-along’s.

A good book that really helped me. I also regularly dip into the licks and play-alongs’ for practice. I’ve tried to look at this from the perspective of someone who knows nothing of modes and I can’t say that it would be easy but like the books above there is simplicity in the delivery of the information if you have the determination to stick with it.

There you go my favourite books…so far. Do you have any recommendations?

Matthew
# 1
compart1
compart1
03/04/2013 2:52 pm
THE GUITAR HANDBOOK Ralph Denyer ISBN 033032750X
Diffinately a good book to have..
Beyond playing guitar
It has some short article of some iconic guitarist..
Guitar history
Adjustments, repairs and customizing..
tons of guitar stuff
# 2
craigdahlinger
Full Access
craigdahlinger
Full Access
03/04/2013 3:37 pm
http://www.amazon.com/New-York-City-Guitar-School/e/B004DH2SA6

Guitar For Absolute Beginners (for Guitar) by Daniel Emery (Feb 15, 2009)

I have this book, and it is great for beginners.
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/04/2013 10:41 pm
I have the Modes for Guitar book, but I haven't worked through it yet. I did read through some of it and it looks great, particularly the way he writes these great little descriptions of each mode.

Two books I am working through are:

The Guitar Fretboard Workbook
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboard-Workbook-Barrett-Tagliarino/dp/0634049011/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362436494&sr=1-1&keywords=guitar+fretboard+workbook

and Guitar Soloing
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Soloing-Contemporary-Improvisation-Included/dp/0793581869/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362436654&sr=1-2&keywords=guitar+soloing

Both are great, but require dedication to through.. Guitar Soloing really opened my eyes to working with seven note scales and broke me out of my pentatonic minor rut. The Guitar Fretboard Workbook is a must have for just about anyone wanting to learn scales. Memorizing scale patterns by writing them out on paper first, before you try to play them, sure speeds up the learning process.
# 4
Goncalo Crespo
Goncalo Crespo
03/05/2013 12:47 pm
Thanks for these. I'm definitely gonna check them out.
# 5
maggior
maggior
03/05/2013 1:14 pm
Here's a book I've referred to all of the time:
The Guitar Player Repair Guide - 3rd Edition by Dan Erlewine
ISBN-10: 0879309210

It is chock full of information about how to setup, maintain, and repair acoustic and electric guitars. It even gets into complicated stuff like refretting, repairing necks, etc. You may not do much of what is in there, but if you need a serious repair in the future, you will know what is involved and what questions to ask the luthier.

This book gave me enough confidence to try setting up my guitars on my own so I can experiment and get it just the way I want.
# 6
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
03/05/2013 8:55 pm
good reference maggior, thanks!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/05/2013 9:06 pm
Ya' know...this thread, i.e., a collection of guitar instruction resources, is a good candidate for a 'sticky'.

Whatcha' think?
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
maggior
maggior
03/05/2013 9:37 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTYa' know...this thread, i.e., a collection of guitar instruction resources, is a good candidate for a 'sticky'.

Whatcha' think?

I think so. Good idea.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.