Shed some light on this, bring your thoughts

caponi14
caponi14
01/26/2013 4:45 pm
Hey, lately i have been wondering about soloing, and the different scales that you can use (also notes OUT of scales)
Don't you know the feeling of playing a boring solo? Especially in a regular 12 bar blues. It feels like there is not a whole lot of different moves that you can do. I have been thinking of ways to make things more interesting. Do you have any ideas on that?
Also, how do you practice playing an improvised solo OVER the chord progression. Landing and passing cool notes on the different licks and tricks.
The feeling that you get when a simple song goes into some different progression when the solo comes around. For example in this track.
Slash's Snakepit: Mean Bone..... link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avLRqD478xo

This is a killer way of creating a solo i think, that feels special by simply just changing chords in the solo section. I miss this kind of feeling when playing sometimes.
I just want to know how i can spice up my solos so that it's not only just the same blues scale and minor/major scale licks. Landing on sexy notes. Also i want to be better at identifying what scales i can actually use over that particular progression. How do i for example see what modes i can use over a particular progression.
Also a thing im working on, is blending minor and major blues scales notes. For example if the song key is in E minor and you play a solo using the E minor blues scale. How do i know when i can mix some major notes in there? check this solo as a perfect example of this. Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wns4j-fZa7s

The solo starts of in E minor Blues, and i think it contains some Dorian notes aswell, Slash usually does that. And later in the solo it moves into major.

Any thoughts on this subject. I hope you feel what i mean. How do i identify what i can do solo/scale wise.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/29/2013 5:58 pm
I think you've mentioned Slash before, and you are a big fan of his... nothing wrong with that, he's an excellent guitar player.

Just a couple of simple things because I'm not really qualified to get too technical with it all. First, from what I understand Slash was a lot like Jimmy Page in the way he approached learning guitar, in that the both got their "chops" from listening to other guitarists, and learning their songs and solos. You might want to research the players that influenced Slash, and learn some of their songs. Don't pick stuff that is super hard and technical to figure out... its the ideas you're after, not necessarily the speed and technical difficulty. You're looking to get a bunch of licks under your belt that you can then intuitively draw from when you go to write a solo of your own.

With that in mind, I don't think Slash probably thinks too technically about a lot of the solos he plays. Its probably a lot more just gut instinct, which he cultivated by listening to a lot of other musicians who played stuff he liked, and he's consciously or sub-conciously borrowing from them.

One thing you could try is just humming or singing along with a backing track instead of trying to play a solo right away. See if you can sing the solo, then work it out on guitar once you have a solid idea of what it is you want to play. This way you can come up with creative melodies without having to worry about what the notes are or what scale you're using. You can use your theory knowledge to guide you once you've already come up with an idea of what it is you want to play.

Just a thought...
# 2
caponi14
caponi14
01/30/2013 11:26 pm
It was a good thought, and im gonna give it a try, Thank you very much for the reply!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.